Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a replacement 5MT for the OBS. It has 130,000 on it. Is there anything that I should, or could do to it before it goes in the car. Currently it is just sitting in the garage. It's from a 99 impreza 2.2 and I'm building my current 2.2 and a little concerned that I might stress it and break something.

If you aren't putting a turbo on it, you're not going to make enough power to outright ruin the transmission.

With that said, you don't need anything over stock to break a transmission, slamming shifts, grinding gears, dumping the clutch, etc regularly will break it. If you treat the transmission with care and respect it'll be fine. If you drive like me you'll blow it up either way... ask the transmission in my outback about rallyx :D

If you aren't putting a turbo on it, you're not going to make enough power to outright ruin the transmission.

With that said, you don't need anything over stock to break a transmission, slamming shifts, grinding gears, dumping the clutch, etc regularly will break it. If you treat the transmission with care and respect it'll be fine. If you drive like me you'll blow it up either way... ask the transmission in my outback about rallyx :D

. Yea for sure! I'm pretty easy on my current 5 speed. I was more wondering if there is any bearings that are easy to replace, or something that may start wearing out soon.

A sorta common issue is the nut that holds the input shaft together backs off. That's what ultimately killed the original transmission in my outback. Nothing drastic happened, it just wouldn't stay in gear unless I held it.

The 3rd gear synchro had come off and done a lot of damage, too, but the input shaft nut was, I think, a separate issue. All the bearings and gears were pretty hosed from the lash of everything going out... Not something I'd really worry about, but if you have the tail section off I guess it's worth checking the torque on that.

I think it's called the input shaft bearing. I occasionally read abou t it going bad.

Probably wise to use a new clutch release bearing too.

Yes the input shaft bearing! Thats what I was thinking. Thats the problem with one that is in the car. It happened right after the new clutch and flywheel. That was about 10k ago.

Might be a good idea to replace the mainshaft bearing. Those tend to start making noise around 175k.

The rest is gonna cost big money to upgrade. If you're worried about strength, you might consider a newer transmission from a WRX, but those usually bring a premium price and have already been beat on.

If you're worried about strength, you might consider a newer transmission from a WRX

HAAAAAH don't... Look up wrx transmission 2nd gear, then tell me you want a wrx transmission...

They also have a 1.1:1 center differential gearing, so they're 3.90 front diff, 3.54 rear diff.