Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm wanting to do about a 1.75" to 2" drop on my Baja. I tried doing a search on Ebay and Google (keywords: Subaru Baja lowering springs) but have not turned up anything. I did find a complete suspension setup for $900 which would be OK but it's way out of my price range. I'm leaning more toward just replacing the springs and reusing my strut assemblies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-Subaru-Baja-Megan-Racing-Street-Series-Coilovers-Lowering-Coils-Set-/271800463433?fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ABaja&hash=item3f4891f049&vxp=mtr

So far I have not found just the springs.

I would think Subaru used the suspension/springs from an Outback because the Baja sits higher than a standard Legacy. But I would imagine I could use a set of lowering springs intended for a Legacy Wagon 2.5 liter. But who knows, the Baja springs maybe unique all together.

Just wondering if a set intended for a 2003 Legacy wagon 2.5 liter would fit my strutt assemblies.

Here is a set for a GT wagon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-SPORT-LOWERING-SPRINGS-1999-2004-SUBARU-LEGACY-WAGON-TYP-BE-BH/271483702040?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30084%26meid%3D9628d06cf61445a4b9227f8211b04057%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291090697986&rt=nc

Most of these springs say they do not fit an Outback. Why is that?

2000-2004 Legacy sets will drop you roughly 2 inches. You could order new, or find a good junkyard set and save time and $$$ by swapping the whole assemblies. If 2 inches is too low, ad 1/4 inch or 3/8 HDPE spacers to bring it back up a bit.

Thanks!

I was just planning on ordering new springs since the suspension on my car only has 75K miles on it and is in great shape. Not to sound like I am too good to use a part from a junkyard (I've done that many times in the past on other cars), I'd just rather not use a used suspension part on my Baja. Especially one that might have been totaled in an accident.

If I could find some new ones at a good price. I've seen springs for Imprezas on Ebay for $70 but for Legacy, the cheapest I found was around $200. I don't know why. Maybe I need to just keep looking.

I wanted to confirm that the Legacys and Bajas even used the same strut assemblies. Even though the Baja is based on the Legacy.

In other words the 2003 Baja sits higher than a Legacy sedan (and the 2004+ models sits higher than the 2003 models) but wasn't sure if they used the same springs but simply relocated the spring perches on the struts so the ride height is actually higher. If that were the case then using a set of factory springs from even a Legacy GT might not drop the ride height at all !

Does that make any sense?

I could understand why the suspension on a Legacy and Impreza would be different.

I would imagine I would need to use the rear springs from a wagon since wagons typically have a higher spring rate than sedans.

According to opposedforces.

The rear is not a strut in the normal sense, but a shock with a high mounted perch seat.

It has a pass through bolt hole on the bottom.

Will have to check with the mfg of springs and talk to them re this application.

O.