Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I have a 1998 Gen 2 outback wagon which I'm about to do some work on and would like a little advice. I bought it a few months ago cheap as it needed some work. Main things being a EJ25D with a blown head gasket which is now replaced with a EJ22E and cv shafts on the front. Next step is the front shafts. I though while I'm at it I will do the suspension as that is also getting old too. I have ordered raised King Springs for all 4 corners and now need to order new struts. As the point of doing a spring lift is to put some taller tyres on my question is what struts are best?

Standard struts for that model outback or another model / year ?

( For example do struts off say a 2004 forester will give better tyre clearance)

Thanks Scott

If you ordered lift springs for an outback, you should probably use outback struts since that's what the springs are made to fit. The forester struts have different valving and may have different extended lengths which will change spring preload.

Most of what I've seen when people put forester struts on the outback, they still need strut top spacers to get rid of the saggy butt look. But those are usually with stock springs.

I just ordered kings and new outback KYBs for mine. Hoping I get the same look as the gen1 outback wagon pictured on Primitive's store. Just a tad more arch height in the back than in the front. Except mine will be 2" taller than that.

Edited by Fairtax4me

If you ordered lift springs for an outback, you should probably use outback struts since that's what the springs are made to fit. The forester struts have different valving and may have different extended lengths which will change spring preload.

Most of what I've seen when people put forester struts on the outback, they still need strut top spacers to get rid of the saggy butt look. But those are usually with stock springs.

I just ordered kings and new outback KYBs for mine. Hoping I get the same look as the gen1 outback wagon pictured on Primitive's store. Just a tad more arch height in the back than in the front. Except mine will be 2" taller than that.

I forget, do you have an OBS or are you referring to putting these parts on a genuine Outback?

This is some useful info I wasn't aware of, I figured the forester struts were plainly taller that the older gen Outback sets. Do you have any info in the difference in ride dynamic on the two (LegOB/Foz struts)?

Edited by SnatchedHatch

Mine is a 96 Legacy L. It's gone through an outbacksformation, plus a 2" lift kit.

Somewhere that I can't remember offhand someone had specs from KYB with overall height for I think 2nd gen Forester and 1st gen Outback struts. 

If I remember right the Outback rear struts had longer travel by about 3/4", the front struts by about 1/2". 

Forester rear struts had a very slightly longer overall extended length. 

Every forester Ive driven in has a stiffer ride than any outback ive driven, which i believe is due to a different valve rate in the forester struts. I haven't found actual valve rates though it would be nice to see the difference. 

• Like 1

I know I will end up getting the outback struts. What you have said fairtax makes sence. I just hoped there was something better than the standard ones. The only other issue I have is price. $380 for the pair of gen 2 as aposed to $200 for a pair of just about every other subaru !

Thanks for rhe help

Mine is a 96 Legacy L. It's gone through an outbacksformation, plus a 2" lift kit.

Somewhere that I can't remember offhand someone had specs from KYB with overall height for I think 2nd gen Forester and 1st gen Outback struts. 

If I remember right the Outback rear struts had longer travel by about 3/4", the front struts by about 1/2". 

Forester rear struts had a very slightly longer overall extended length. 

Every forester Ive driven in has a stiffer ride than any outback ive driven, which i believe is due to a different valve rate in the forester struts. I haven't found actual valve rates though it would be nice to see the difference. 

I see what you mean now, that makes perfect sense. For someone looking to set their lift for offroad capability, OB would definitely be the appropriate choice.

I would have gone with Fozzie struts as I like the clearance but at most would be driving through a field or light trail, so the marginal travel would be optimal especially when considering the majority of my driving is on road.

As a side note, if anyone is interested, I have a set of complete 2006 Forester struts with 120k miles not leaking in good but used shape.

I'm listing them locally, but realized maybe one of you could use them.

If you pay shipping plus the $50 i spent on them, they're yours. Got them off a Subie buddy that STi-ed his Foz.

The one I have is a genuine outback so has the factory lift in it. The king springs I have bought are for the outback so will lift it 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher than standard what I was trying to get at was is there another strut that has a higher bottom spring perch than the gen 2 outback ones that will give me more clearance for bigger tyres. Added bonus is newer outback and forester struts are half the price

You can only use 96-99 outback struts.

00+ Legacy and Outback have coil over shocks in the rear. Totally different design.

Forester you can use up to 07, but I don't think the spring perches are any higher.

I got all 4 KYB on Rockauto for about $270 shipped.

• Like 1

The one I have is a genuine outback so has the factory lift in it. The king springs I have bought are for the outback so will lift it 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher than standard what I was trying to get at was is there another strut that has a higher bottom spring perch than the gen 2 outback ones that will give me more clearance for bigger tyres. Added bonus is newer outback and forester struts are half the price

Perhaps an aftermarket strut?

Not sure, I'd check the numerous Subie forums independent of USMB, not to mention the Aussie ones. I could see a forum dedicated to lifted Outbacks, that would be your best bet for info on such struts.

You can only use 96-99 outback struts.

00+ Legacy and Outback have coil over shocks in the rear. Totally different design.

Forester you can use up to 07, but I don't think the spring perches are any higher.

I got all 4 KYB on Rockauto for about $270 shipped.

Found some strut data, straight from KYB comparing the Forester struts and Impreza struts (sorry, maybe the Outback specs can be found).

FRONT

Lower Hole To Spring Seat

Impreza   252

Forester  253

Total Strut Body Length

Impreza   356

Forester  377

Extended Length (Body + Shaft)

Impreza   525

Forester  560 [514]

Compressed Length (Body + Shaft)

Forester  391

REAR

Lower Hole To Spring Seat

Impreza   315

Forester  330

Total Strut Body Length

Impreza   367

Forester  407

Extended Length (Body + Shaft)

Impreza   605

Forester  643 [632]

Compressed Length (Body + Shaft)

Forester  455

Would be nice to know which part of the seat they measure to. I assume they measure to the center of the hole.

I can tell you the Outback rear measures about 690mm extended, not including the threaded portion of the shaft.

Compressed length is about 470.

I can measure the fronts tomorrow.

Fairtax I would jump at $270 for a full set but in Australia the best I can do so far is $340 starting price for EACH end (for just about any brand) Plus shipping buying them in pairs or a "special" deal at the moment on eBay of $650 plus $15 shipping for a full set. That's for the KYB stuff. Sachs are $400 plus each end $790 plus shipping for genuine Subaru.

Note *pruor to 12 to 18 months ago I did buy a lot of stuff like this frim America but something happened there and shipping went up from say $20 to over $100 for everything ??

I believe all these prices are "EACH" and you will need 2.

Well the rear KYB G2 are $60.79 and $61.79 for a '98 Outback.

The fronts are $67.99 & $68.79.

This doesn't include the Strut Mounts (Top Hats) which KYB ones are around $48.79 rear and $44.89 front.

The boots/bellows are $11.23 (think each) for the front.

Right now if you had ordered all 4 from Rockauto or someplace like that KYB is running a $40 rebate on the purchase of 4 struts.  

They also have the kit you probably got on eBay for $221, if that kit includes the mounts and the bellows, although no free shipping but if they are on the promotion that $40 rebate might have covered the shipping for all of it.

Edited by lstevens76

All those prices are fantastic except that is the US price and the freight to Australia is $80 to $120 for each item !

I bought a pair of rear struts for $222 on special including postage from ebay. The best price I can get from a local parts shop is $370 for the front pair. That is for the struts only not the top hats. Looks like the best I will get a front pair for is $338 from ebay but that seller has very bad feed back so the next best is $350 + $11 postage.

The reason I started this post is that I can get Gen 3 outback front struts for $200 posted ! If only is was as simple as them fitting !

Edited by ScottAust