Ultimate Subaru Message Board

N/A build.. yep, another sucker

Hey guys, 

I'm an offroad subaru enthusiast and apprentice mechanic, I have had a few BG5 model subarus and I'm fairly keen to stick with that tech because I'm familiar with it and they're reasonably cheap and second hand parts are easy to come buy.  I'm also not a fan of turbo subarus (for offroad) because its one more thing to worry about, and when your km's from anywhere the last thing you want is a breakdown..

with that being said! 

My goal is to make a high compression N/A motor with good all round power and exceptional reliability. 

Now I'm not up to scratch with engine numbers for what year/generation so this may be an ask.

What I WANT to do is put 2ltr DOHC heads on a 2.5 ltr block.

Answers I'm after are;

-What block and head combos would suit this build? (eng numbers etc) interchangeability 

-Is it worth me using acl race bearing as i will be pushing this motor hard at both low and high RPM.

-I can get a partially closed deck  ej257, any good to me?

This is a serious build and I appreciate any helpful input that might help me get on the right track.

Please feel free to use engine code numbers, part numbers and links so I can do my own research aswell. Feel free to put down a list of parts of how you might build this motor and your reasons for why your theoretically using said parts. 

ALL IN THE NAME OF FUN.

Thank-you all!

Edited by Legover