Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what if i crash? which vehicle am i safer in?

I agree that the Impreza would offer more safety however, the Loyales at least do in fact have crumple zones. Cannot speak to the gl models but it was definitely a selling point back in 94 when I bought my Loyale.  The 89 is probably least safe in side impacts as I am pretty sure the crumple zones for it (based on my Loyale) are head on only.

Impreza also has airbags doesn't it?

i thought only the mid trim and top of the line early imprezas did, 1995 became mandatory standard airbags including passenger also, but if you got the complete base model in 93 and 94, im pretty sure it came without a steering wheel airbag. and i wouldn't be surprised if the wagon does poorly on the side impact, skinny little doors it has, and theres no "tube" in the door, ive noticed my impreza had this tube inside the door when changing the speakers.

There's no doubt the loyales have crumple zones. For front impacts. And they definitely work.

I think the older cars as well as the newer gen cars major weak point is side impacts as was mentioned previously. There's no doubt in my mind that the frameless doors play in to this, and why the newer subarus have fully framed doors.

There's no doubt the loyales have crumple zones. For front impacts. And they definitely work.

I think the older cars as well as the newer gen cars major weak point is side impacts as was mentioned previously. There's no doubt in my mind that the frameless doors play in to this, and why the newer subarus have fully framed doors.

I disagree about the frameless doors being an issue in terms of safety. Most Subarus after 2000 where '5 star' in crash testing and were still fitted with frameless doors.

Subaru changed to framed doors to allow for much bigger door openings and to make sure the doors shut with a 'thunk' sound... Much harder to make a car sound like it is 'quality' with frameless glass 'flapping' about... 

As an example, the boron steel used in the B pillars of Impreza models from late 2000 was so strong that the 'jaws of life' equipment used by emergency personnel (in Australia) needed to be re-designed to cope. 

Edited by Leeroy

every car does poorly on side impact than front collision, thats the weakest point on a vehicle, on any vehicle, but about the frameless doors, i like them but i dont like them, they do feel cheap when you open them and close them now 30years later, im sure when it was new it sounded right, when the window is rolled down the door sounds flawless and latches perfectly but the seals are pretty sad and old, but frameless windows do look cool when things work correctly.