Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Strut Interchange for a 1990 Legacy FWD

So, I have my '90 Legacy L up for sale and someone came by and told me what I already knew, the rear struts are shot.  Thinking about that I thought it might help sell it if I replace the rear struts.

Now, of course I'm selling an older car and I really don't want to spend $150/$200 on new struts as I probably won't recoup that outlay of cash.  The local pick-a-part charges $20 a strut assembly (whole thing).

Basically I'm wondering what will interchange with those rear struts.  Of course another '90 Legacy FWD rear struts will work, probably up to '95 as well (at least i would think).  But what other models, etc...?

I want to know because if I'm going to go pull struts I want to find the best set of struts I can that will fit this car.  

Thanks. :)

If you are talking struts only then 90-99 Legacy and 93-01 Impreza will match as well as the front only for 2000-2004 Legacy and Impreza.

For the full assemblies 90-94 legacy and 93-01 Impreza I believe share the same tophat design while 95-99 legacy changed. You can drill one hole in your strut tower to accommodate it or swap the original tophats from your car.

Ditto to 96-99 Outback and 97-08 Forester which would give you about a 2 inch suspension lift on the car. (Same thing as yours but a little taller)