Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear drum brake issues

Hi guys! It's been about a year since I've been on here, but I'm back and have some questions.

I've been working on a 91 Loyale and just finished it up. I took it for a test drive and the brake fluid light came on. Then the brakes went out. I limped it home in first (I was only a block away) and checked it out. I had oil leaking out of the passenger side drum. I busted it apart and found the drum full of brake fluid and what was left of the pads in the bottom of the drum.

My question is can I replace the piston at the top of the brakes (cause of said leak) and pads and be on my way? I am assuming the other side needs pads as well.

How does the surface of drum look? I had a drum brake explode and pieces that broke off gouged up the drum. If it is, and the hardware is all good, you might be fine with just pads and replacing the brake cylinder. If the leak was because of a split boot, you might even just be able to replace those. 

What else would you anticpate needing to replace?

I would replace both wheel cylinders and just og on your merry way (and the shoes of course). The reason i say both is that the rubber parts are old, and Murphy does love his laws.

I Had this on the 89 Justy. Oddly one year later i hit a pothole and blew out a new wheel cylinder, go figure.

How does the surface of drum look? I had a drum brake explode and pieces that broke off gouged up the drum. If it is, and the hardware is all good, you might be fine with just pads and replacing the brake cylinder. If the leak was because of a split boot, you might even just be able to replace those. 

What else would you anticpate needing to replace?

The springs should be a given, they're only like $10 for a paired kit.

I'm about to change out my shoes on my 98 Impreza, I already bought the cylinders as well, but do you think it's worth replcaing them?

I'll probably just go with "might as well"/for the low price it's worth the peace of mind.

Edited by SnatchedHatch

In summary ...  new shoes, new wheel cylinders and new spring set.

Get some brake cleaner and make sure your drums (inside) are squeaky clean.

Do both sides.

Throw clothes in the dumpster when finished ....  brakes are dirty!   

Forget the rebuild kit - you can get new cylinders for a just a few bucks more. 

I'll get me cilynders for each rear drum as well as new pads and hardware/springs. Is there a how-to for this? I can't seem to locate one with search function... And I haven't looked on YouTube yet, but are there any tips to make it go smoother?

Its easy to do. Get all your parts, then do just one side at a time. They are mirror images of each others. With new springs you may have to make a blood sacrifice to the mechanical gods. I know the justy for being a tiny car had one spring that was an SOB. If your going to keep this car you may even want to invest a brake tool or two to make life easier.

Camera phone is also your freind.

When you bleed the breaks DO NOT pump the brakes. It will take longer to do a gravity bleed or use a bleed tool. If you pump the brakes on an older car you may damage the master cylinder.

Youtube is the correct choice, I was about to do my brakes before winter and found a good video tutorial that emphasized taking pictures of your springs/brake parts before and as you break them down, so that you know where everything goes.

That's really that hardest part about doing these drum brakes.

To resummarize, or really just read through this short thread :rolleyes: ,

Brake shoes

Brake Cylinders

Brake spring set

Brake Fluid (dot 3/4) + Brake Cleaner

//Bandages

//ShiFty Clothes

//Camera Phone

//Daylight

PLUS maddd Engine temp spray for maximum hp gains from putting a shine to your drums afters a scrub ;)

I got my hands on some bronzish looking engine enamel, just like STi brembo calipers!

Sure thing on the 'do one side at a time'.

However, in this order...

Loosen lugs and axle nuts on both sides.

Jack up car and set on sturdy jack stands... both sides.

Now proceed with brake job with entire rear of car jacked up.  This way, you can reveal both sides at once.