Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need advice!

I've been looking for a 05 Wrx for a couple of years and living in California it's hard to find one that has decent mileage and is a clean title. This weekend I checked out one with 151k and the exterior and interior were very well kept beside a cheap carbon fiber hood. However I few things caught my eye that make me skeptical. The Oil was low, the power steering reservoir has a minor leak, and the inter cooler coupler was pretty old. The way he drove the car worried me because he didn't rev match (Not a huge deal) and after the test drive he didn't let the turbo cool off before shutting her off (again not a huge worry) he was asking 9k for it but willing to negotiate. I doubt he'll go lower than 8k. I've never owned a subie so any advice please. Is it worth taking it for a pre purchase inspection? Or should I walk?

I believe spending a hundred or so on a mechanic's inspection is more than worth the cost when prospecting a car.

Given your attention to detail in picking up a few "questionable" things (in your eyes, not commenting on them directly), why not alleviate your worries, that is especially if this seems to be your better option in your area.

Don't fall in love with the car, suspect anything and everything, and don't take the seller's word for anything until you or a qualified professional can verify.

Welcome to the forum, hope you make it back here after you conclude your Subie hunt!

When in doubt, why risk anything? You should have any car you purchase inspected, with no rush from you or the seller!

• Like 1

HI,

Why an '05?

Do a CarFax or Autocheck VIN check to get a list of the # of owners and maintenance done (Carfax shows this- if dealer serviced). I'm not a mathematician but for every owner multiple your 'concerns' by 2. Also, the VIN check will show how many recalls are open/closed....if they're still open the PO didn't really care much about maintenance, IMHO.

The #1 issue w/any '02-'05 WRX is the EJ205 engine. They  are known to spin rod bearings. Expect $1500 min. to fix...if you install it yourself.

I'd definitely do a leak down and comp test....I know ex$pen$ive, but so is a new engine.

If you're bored go read up on NASIOC - center of the Impreza ,  WRX , and STi universe.

Personally, I'm not a fan of used Subie turbo engines...just too many issues. But I'm addicted to boost so I still buy them.

Td