Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prepping a 1st generation Brat for a cross country road trip

Howdy folks, long time lurker here, finally piping up with some questions.

I’ve recently acquired a Gen 1 Brat with an EA81 motor and tranny swap.

Things are running fine and it’s currently on the road, but I’m looking to drive it from Las Vegas back home to Toronto in a couple of months time when my current gig ends.

To do so, I’m trying to compile a list of everything I’m gonna need to replace, acquire, fix and torque down.  I’m hoping the USMB can help me out on this front as I try to get everything sorted out.

First on the list, I’d like to replace the front axles - the boots on both are completely shot.  I’ve read here that a lot of folks prefer having their original axles rebuilt rather than buying replacements.  For my purposes, I’ll certainly hold on to my originals for future use, but to drive across the country, I’ll be looking to swap in some new ones. Word on the street is that EMPI have decent build quality, do Gen 1’s and Gen 2’s share the same axle assembly?  Rockauto seems to suggest they don’t but it’s not totally clear.  Do folks at USMB have a preferred vendor for EMPI?  Lastly, if I’m replacing the axles I feel like I might as well do the wheel bearings too - is there anything else that falls in the same category of “might as well replace it” while the wheels and axles are off?

I’ve got many more questions as I look to drop a weber on it, delete the EGR, tune up the cooling, switch over to Pertronix from points and possibly upgrade the alternator to a GM, but for now, any guidance regarding my axles and associated upgrades would be tremendously appreciated.

Lastly, here’s a pic for those of you that are interested.

post-57493-0-30383900-1429026588_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh and yeah, may as well replace the ball joints, rotors, pads, brake lines, etc if they're all original if the axles and bearings are getting done.

I'm not sure on the axle size difference. I'll let one of the other guys here chime in I *think* they're different, but I don't know. May want to specify which transmission is in it.

Bought that one in Utah from the guy who had 3?

Good eye!

I couldn't resist - hailing from Toronto, Brat's just don't exist up there anymore, salt & snow has consumed them all.

This one is completely rust free and overall in great shape, though the previous owner isn't the one who did the engine and tranny swap, so I'm doing my best to go through it all myself and figure out if there are any red flags.

Ball joints, all bearings. and brakes. Include lower rubber lines, and all rubber hoses under the hood. Have the radiator boiled out. Change the fuel filters (2 I keep spares) Check tires and spare. Reboot and grease axles. Be prepared to talk to alot of Old Dudes when you stop. :D   I always carry a small tool box, and couple radiator clamps, and water everywhere I travel. Have fun.

Since this is an engine and tranny swap, can the parts lists be relied upon?  With that, I'd personally get 'em rebuilt and put 'em back on just to avoid any possible parts number issues.  That said, I'm not up on what went into what for what year, so..........

• 3 weeks later...