Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Subaru Legacy Exhaust issues

First time posting to this msgboard, hopefully someone has some suggestions for me!  I have a 2003 subaru legacy that i had a cat back done on about 4yrs ago.  The muffler has been replaced once more since then but the resonator that connects to the muffler has since rotted away at the flange as well as the flange that connects the resonator to the cat converter, we have done some bandaid work in the meantime to keep it running but it seems as though something more permanent will need to be done in the near future. Any suggestions for where to go or what kind of  $$ to expect to pay would be great. Or any idea how easy it would be to obtain a cat converter and a resonator  (aftermarket---are they worth it?).  Thanks for any help!

I would STRONGLY suggest going to a custom exhaust place and talking to them. Usually I recomend paying for name brand exhaust parts, as you get what you pay for. Its worth the price to get the good parts (Walker pipes) and do it once every ten years or more, otherwise your getting new pipes every year or three. 

That pipe rot at the converter flange is a really a common repair that a custom muffler shop can do. 

A mom and pop type exhaust shop should be able to repair or replace the flanges for under $100. Don't let them just weld a piece of pipe on there, because that will lead to breakage of other parts. The pipe needs to be able to flex at the joint behind the cat.