Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Forester Service Questions

Hello All,

My Mom has a 2002 Forester, the base model, A/T.

I told her I would help her do the service on her car, but I'm not familiar with Subaru. I was looking around for the oil filter and I believe I found it. But there is that "skid plate" in the way. I was reading somewhere on here about some plastic screws or something that come out and allow that to slide out.

She's due for her 30,000 service. Can you guys give some suggestions on what to replace and such. I was looking at her service manual, which had her changing just about everything. Trying to save her some money right now.

Two other issues she's got is her brakes squeek like there is no tomorrow. And her valve lifters are really noisy since around 25,000 miles.

Thanks for all your help.

Lifters Noisy is Normal....

As for the Dust/Brush cover (Skid plate would be Steel), Remove the 2 plastic snap fasteners (1 in the front part of each front wheel well). Pop the center out with a small screwdriver then pull out the housing.

Then remove the 2 bolts toward the front of the cover (just below the radiator) and the 2 bolts from the rear (fastened to the center support plate. Then the cover comes right off.