Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Was Running Fine Now Won't Start

Remove plug wires one at a time w/idling until you find the one(s) that do not make any difference.

Check the plug and wires on those.

Try leaving the gas cap loose.

It is normal for the tank to hold a SMALL amount of pressure/vacuum.

Will leave the gas cap loose next time. Plugs and wires are all brand new ~500km old. Will try anyways. I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do about the thermometer. Might just buy a new unit I remember reading something about buying a slightly cooler rated one.

Been reading a lot on the MAF and am now learning that maybe I shouldn't have sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner. I didn't remove the housing so maybe its ok but I did blast the plug out good with it.

Did you set timing with the green plugs connected? You set timing with them plugged in, then unplug once set. If things are not working correctly, always start small... Start at the timing belt, and work your way forward. Double check everything. Dont over think it

• Like 1

Minor success tonight. Started it was real gentle and brought her home around midnight tonight when I would have time and space to deal with it being stuck in an inconvenient place. Got it all the way to my garage and only died when trying to get my fob. Started again after but wanted to die immediately when pulling into my spot. Have a bunch of questions and photos tonight. Sorry for all the questions and thanks to everyone whos been answering them! I don't have anyone teaching me this stuff so learning by doing and reading

IMG_20150515_000355.jpg

Whats this connector? Located in the top right near the fuel filter, no idea where its going or coming from. Its a big chewed up, not sure how or why wondering if this is causing problems. (that inline fuse is nothing was wired direct to batter for fog lights but I've removed it)

IMG_20150515_000426.jpg

This is my thermostat sensor thing and the wires are torched. Guess I need to just replace the whole unit. Maybe I can just solder the wire and it will be better.

IMG_20150515_000652.jpg

o2 sensor wire coming from the harness seems in rough shape. It was taped to itself on the top side. Under the tape the insulation wire is pulled back not sure if you can make it out. Will this stop it from functioning?

IMG_20150515_001527.jpg

Terrible photo but tons of junk under the MAF sensor. Am I just supposed to be cleaning these contacts or should I be separating the plastic from the metal body and cleaning under?

IMG_20150515_003307.jpg

Whats this plug and why does it look like someone dipped it in milkshake? Tons of corrosion blew a bunch out but still needs a better cleaning. Maybe another cause.

Edited by jread

White connector in 1st pic is for the 2 solenoids seen in the bottom pic. They shift the trans from FWD to 4wd by controlling the big vacuum canister mounted below the starter.

The connector in the bottom pic is for the wiper motor.

The pic of the side of the radiator is showing the thermosensor switch that controls the electric radiator fan.

The thermometer sensor (1 wire) for the dash gauge is on the thermostat housing. The coolant temperature sensor (2 wires) is there also. It is separate, and tells the ecu the engine temperature. The one on the radiator is only for the fan.

Cleaned everything up and put it all back together seemed to fire up great. Also tightened a ground wire down much better and things seem to be going a bit smoother. Also finally convinced Canadian Tire to honor there warranty on a battery without receipt and got a new one paid for! So I tossed that in to eliminate the pain in the rump roast battery that was twice the size it should be.

Still need to tackle the low idle issue. Have the exhaust dropped right now and am threading the holes up to 7/16 14 soon and putting in new studs since the old ones mostly stripped out when I pulled the engine. If that doesn't fix the issue I'll have to search for other solutions. 

Anyone have any wisdom on that O2 sensor wire? Its pretty pooched and I'm getting a code just wondering if its the wire being worn or if it might be the actual sensor. Would rather not buy a new one if possible. 

Also getting a code for the purge sensor going to do some research now but im getting 40ohms resistance which seems close to 35 not sure if its close enough. 

The wire is no big deal, as long as it does not short out to anything. I have used the Bosch sensor from NAPA for these engines without trouble. The 35 to 40 ohms should be ok. There could be a break in a wire, or bad contact in a connector.

The code for the purge valve is generated by an open in the wiring to the solenoid, or the solenoid itself.  There is no way the ECU can tell if anything beyond that is there or functioning.  Same is true for the EGR solenoid, code 34.  The codes only check that the solenoid coil is there.  So if the coil is solidly good, one of the 3 or so connectors, or wires that connect the ECU to the solenoid most likely has an open / bad contact.  Theoretically, the ECU could have a failure, but I have yet to see that happen, since 1988.

I noticed the pic above, of a white cylindrical connector.  The back, where the wires come out, should have a red/ orange silicon rubber seal to keep moisture out.  If it is missing, the contacts may be corroded.  I am not sure which wires / signals are in that connector, but it's something to look out for.

Drove 500km in the last week with no issues. Gas mileage seems bad and I'm sure I'd still get codes if I connected the green plug I'd get the codes again but pretty happy that its working so well. Will tackle these codes and problems. Not ever sure what the source of this problem was but seems to be fine now!

Question have you done a timimg check yet (dont forget the connectors to allow setting timing properly) the reason I say that is more often than not somebody adjusts timing with half worn belts and then you replace the belts and the timimng is out usually too far advanced which can make them Pigroot around and run like a Dog.

Edited by coxy

I want to check the timing but I can't really understand any instructions I've read and seem to need a specialized tool that I don't have and have no money to buy. I'm pretty sure I'm reading something wrong but you're right it might be timing and I should really check it out again.