Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear CV Shaft go BG9 98 outback

While I'm doing the suspension I might as well do all the CV Shafts right ? This is getting expensive but any way - bought 2 new front CV Shafts no problem but can find any rear ones on eBay. Heaps of front listings. None for the rear. Are they the same ???

if you must do something to them , consider re-greasing and rebooting your originals and swap sides with them. That way, you get the less-used surfaces that were only worn when reversing moved to forward direction wear.

but, as mentioned above, I read a lot of various Forums and have yet to read of a bad rear axle (or even a boot) that was bad unless a wreck was the cause.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The front ones are shot. Sounds like 50 tap dancers every time you turn either way. I haven't chec the tears yet but from what you all have said the plan is clean an re grease them, new boots if required and swap sides. I was thinking new ones for the rear too because I am putting king springs in and that will change the angle but swapping sides will help that

the subaru OEM axles are robust, run them, replacing them would a downgrade.

clean, regrease, reboot with Subaru boots.

i've even cleaned up, regreased, and rebooted noisy axles and they work flawlessly with no noise.

it would surprise me if the old noisy axles, if they were Subaru OEM, would outlast new aftermarket axles - aftermarket axles are that trashy.

i have 370,000 km on the originals on a slightly lifted outback and 270,000 km on a lifted XT6 with original rear Subaru axles.  and this is the norm, not the exception - it's nearly pointless to replace them.  a lot of parts are far more likely to fail than the axles.