Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burnt out clutch? Symptoms? HELP!

What are the symptoms of a burnt out clutch?

Pretty sure mine burnt out today.

Before it happened I was driving and was getting a bad shudder when I let out the clutch. Happening intermittently. Then after some more driving I was pulling it into a parking lot when it started acting weird. The motor sounded like it was under load when I had the clutch pushed in. Kinda like how it sounds when you first take off maybe? And I can hear a sound coming from around the bell housing when it's idling. Also when I let out the clutch and tried to take off I could go but it sounded like it was gonna die. No extra noise when I push in or out the clutch that I can tell. Oh, and it won't go into reverse at all. Anybody have a clutch burn out on a subaru? What was it like?

I didn't notice any slipping before but I have noticed a whistling sound that happens only when I push in the clutch. That's happened since I bought the car. Any advice guys?

I'm in the process of getting it towed home but I need to know for sure if it's the clutch or not.

Edited by nicholi2789

Not going into reverse will have nothing to do with a misfire. Get a little more info and post back. You might have a couple things happening at once.

Misfire is usually due to plugs or wires.

It not going into reverse was just me being panicky and jumping the gun. I came back to the car after a bit and started it. It still runs like it's missing really bad (engine shaking etc), I am able to shift through all the gears just fine. The the rediculously rough idle and the single PO303 code. It has something to do with this cylinder misfire. I am just praying praying that it isn't a burnt exhaust valve or something. Any suggestions?