Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A good place to find a used transmission for 1986 GL Wagon?

Hi All, I've got a 1986 GL Wagon that desperately needs a new transmission (1.8 AWD, 3 speed Automatic). I can't quite afford a rebuild at this point, so I'm looking for used. I'm not sure where to look or who to trust when looking for one - the internet seems full of parts... can anyone point me in the right direction?  (note: My mechanic looked for one, but told me his connections were unable to warranty one or were unwilling to ship to NY). 

Thanks for any advice!

post-58019-0-89034400-1429282758_thumb.jpg

learn to drive a manual, lots of benefits from engine braking to clutch last 200,000miles, engine stays cooler since its not stealing antifreeze from the radiator to basically having multiple transmissions in one, a gear goes out oh well, you use the others till you can fix it, get full power from the engine to wheels, not stressing the engine when stopped at a light by holding it back, more control over your vehicle (engine) i can go on and on but you get the point, swap in a manual, autos are slow compared to the manual, and if you can find a D/R transmission, HUGE +++, have fun!

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1

I'm nearby you in jersey. I can try to help you out. Our cars are few and far between out east here and parts are near impossible to find. I found a manual transmission for my car using car-part.com

Brooklyn you have hunts point junkyard out there in the bronx. They have EVERYTHING. You should be able to find something out there.

Tell us what your car is doing that is making you think it needs a new transmission. There is a common failure point on the auto transmissions that is easy to fix and doesn't require replacement, or even removal of the transmission. Is it not shifting through the gears on it's own?