Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sway Bar Bushings

Hey there

My Front Sway Bar Link Bushings are shot.

There doesn't appear to be any easy way to replace them...run down to oreilys and buy bushings, or a complete link, solution etc.

I cant quite tell by searching around exactly what Duro the bushings are made from.

I am about ready to buy a foot of Polyurethane Extra Hard Duro 45/75 and make my own.

McMaster Carr has it for ~ $16

Anyone done this?

Anyone know the hardness value of the material, or they type?

mine made so much noise it was annoying on the road, it was just metal on metal, ended up replacing the sway bar whole out of my donor vehicle since i couldn't find a way to remove the rubber bushings, maybe when the rubber is new you can squeeze it in there but 30years later their as hard as a rock and have no flex to remove them, you can remove the sway bar out of the vehicle by only removing a tire and the skid plate including the smaller skidplate in the back, just gotta do alot of twisting and turning to do it the lazy way (me) :P good luck!

Edited by Subasaurus

Thanks for the input...just don't happen to have a donor car..that would be too easy....would actually solve a few problems

the bushings that mount the sway bar to the frame are fine...its the ones on the link that are toast...local auto parts store doesn't have anything similar......these are the ones that I'm considering fabricating from a piece of raw round bar Polyurethane...

ah your talking about the other ones close to the A arm, isn't it just a piece of metal, like a miniature tube, look at a junkyard and see which one is the one in the best condition and grab that one, but both of my vehicles looked fine on that piece, man how hard has that vehicle been driven for the metal tube bushing to be gone, im sure you have no rubber either then.

Edited by Subasaurus