Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air cond, compressor

Hi, I've just encountered a new problem. The clutch on my air cond. won't kick in. I don't believe the cause is low freon. Tried putting some in and it won't kick in. My question is, can it be checked by disconneting the wire from the compressor and putting the juice to it to see if it will engage? I have checked all fuses that I know of. Also while engine is running and air is on, I disconnected and reconnected the wires on the drier and heard the relay click slightly. That's about all I know.

Any input?

Yes you can Hook the wires up to 12V+ and Ground to see if the clutch will kick in but if you decide to run it this way you bypass a few protection circuts so i would only recommend doing this to see if the clutch is still working or not.

Yes you can Hook the wires up to 12V+ and Ground to see if the clutch will kick in but if you decide to run it this way you bypass a few protection circuts so i would only recommend doing this to see if the clutch is still working or not.

That's what I thought. I took a 4 amp battery charger and put the pos. to the wire and the neg. to ground which didn't do anything. I may try removing the pulley etc. to explore but probably won't help. Will probably have to go to a junkyard to get a replacement. Thanks for the reply.

The compressor on my Brat also quit working @ a year ago. I just a 12 volt jumper to the compressor wire after disconnecting it at the connector. The compressor kicked right in. Note that the compressor is already grounded. I may have a bad switch or really low on R12. Well at least the compressor appears to be fine. Now for a conversion to R134A.

Regards,

aba4430

Actually I decided to try running from battery rather than the charger and it kicks in where it wouldn't from the charger. After checking the fuse with an ohm meter, found out it was a blown fuse. The fuse looked ok but wasn't. Put in a new fuse and it blew in a short time. The only short I can think of is it may be in the clutch. Don't want to take the clutch off unless I have to. Only way that I know of to check that is to take the clutch to an electrical shop. Was using a 20 fuse that blew. Put in a 30 and it didn't. Kind of risky. Any input? Thanks