Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are these things inside my engine bay?

Hey forum, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure something out

It seems my car has two radiators, am I right or am I wrong?

And please tell me, is this thing in the photo an alternator? The thing that is highlighted in red. I get the feeling that the device on the left of it is the alternator.

car_pic_1.jpg

car_pic_2.jpg

car_pic_3.jpg

Edited by Detronix

I wasn't expecting anything. I thought that because there was a second radiator and some device (the A.C compressor) linked to the engine, I thought it might have been a supercharger, though I highly doubted it.

Silly, but at least now I know.

2 A/C compressors... now theres something you don't see everyday, but what i dont understand is why?? just use R12 instead of 134a, cools so much better, pitty that its illegal in the United States because of ozone stuff, even though our neighbor Mexico and pretty much the rest of the world is still using them, were the only ones that are shooting at ourselves.

Edited by Subasaurus

Its a belt driven blower/ super charger  ,If you look you can see the tube running over to the air filter housing. Really nice looking install job.

Yeah, when you actually can click on the picture it says STI Supercharger. ;)

That is Not a second A/C compressor for sure, 

That is why I posted my comment above...

Subasaurus comment is why I said that. lol

That is Not a second A/C compressor for sure,

That is why I posted my comment above...

i didn't understand Loyale 2.7 Turbo's first comment, thought he was talking about him thinking it was a turbocharger and to not make fun of him, now i see he was talking about the compressor, which now turned out to be a turbocharger.

and i think Montana Tom was being serious and not trying to make fun of him.

so im confused now..

Edited by Subasaurus

I just wanted to post up that having a supercharger under the hood is possible, and not so farfetched!

I was a total auto noob once, I don't mock simple not-knowing and especially not when someone is asking so they will learn...

I recall this one guy, had a 60-something chevy, engine said 'turbo-jet' on it, so he was sure there was a turbo in the block... but he didn't want to know if there was or wasn't!