Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dec0y's Ongoing Project BRAT

dec0y13

I've had it for a couple years. Here's where it stands currently.

20150420_123010.jpg

Not Bad, It runs great and I still need to pop out a few dents and get some of Pooparu's decals on it, but it's gonna get a huge update 1st.

From the back you can see the bumper and tailgate I need to replace. (I got the tailgate, but it's not painted as of yet.)

20150420_123038.jpg

The end goal is to have it look like this...except Yellow

RCBRAT02.jpg

I'm going to replacing the entire underside of the truck with all the suspension and all of the electronics of different 98-2004 cars. In the end it will be standing on a 3"lifted frame, the fenders will be trimmed out and extended and I think its gonna sit on 17/225/55's (27" tire). The current power-plant I have is an acceptable EJ 2.2 that will connect to either a RS (5 Speed) or STI (6 Speed) tranny through an Impreza drive-shaft and to a LSD in the rear (4.11 final drive ratio). (I don't have a tranny as of yet.)

The entire interior will be stripped out and rebuilt racing style with the much newer gauges and lights and I'm adding a main switch and push-button start.

This year, the goal is to get it running with the 2.2 and next summer drop a 2.0T WRX engine in the bay.

Currently I have a couple doner cars I'm pulling from. (98 Legacy with a blown tranny and a completely wrecked 04 STI)

I'm in the process of Building the frame. Looks like I'll be using 2x3 1/8 thick box-steel for most of it. The frame is what will mate the Body with Upgraded drive line.

It's gonna be quite a project!

I'll keep everyone updated as I go :)

Whoot! Fun Fun!

Edited by dec0y13
  • Like 2

Just a word of caution - the SOHC EJ22 will fit between the frame rails up front fine, but the DOHC 'EJ20T' (not actually a valid engine code) will not - you will have to notch the frame rails unless you go crazy high with the lift.

And for a tranny, you should try and get a dual-range EJ gearbox!

Edited by KiwiGL
  • Like 1

Thanks Kiwi, I was thinking that the EJ20T was the max that would fit without Notching the frame. So that's actually super helpful.

I May have to either strengthen the front frame on my build and cut the original frame, or look at a different engine. My lift will not be nearly enough to clear the engine heads under the original frame rails.

I was unhappy with the performance options on the EJ2.2 (maybe 120 horse). I was looking at the 2.0 Turbo because I get the 200+ horse I was looking for. (not sure how that compares to NZ. I beleive you use Kilowats like in OZ?)

I'd love to get a Dual-rang EJ tranny (After all the BR in BRAT stands for Bi-Range), but they are in extrodinary rare supply here Stateside, and I DID actulaly find a STI 6 speed. (expensive, however less expensive than shipping a tranny from OZ)) The STI tranny has the Adjustable VCD center diff and LSD rear. Also, the gears are closer together and I hope will give me a couple lower gears to work with. So I can do a bit of offroad goodness in loos terrrain with it. I live in a desert type area so a less rock crawler more rally style set-up suits where I'll be off-roading. (It's less Moab and more Baja.)

Ha! Yellow is the way to go! BTW I love your Bumble Beast Turbo. I was just looking at your thread the other day.

I'll make sure to keep everyone posted. I'm still pulling pats now. Once I get all of the cossmembers together. I'll be able to get my measurments and have the frame compenents machined.

I'll get lots of pics for everything along the way. It should be entertaining. Lol

• Like 2

I firmly beleive thats vintage subarus should come in the same colors as Skittles! ;)

If I get another 80's suburu it's going Bright Green!

1st gen Turbo?

It would predate my phase one harness so it should work. I need to see if I can track down that Turbo.

1st gen legacy was like 91-95?

What are the specs on that SOHC 2.2 turbo?

---------------- Update

Specs on the 1st gen turbo are good:

Phase one 2.2 Liter SOHC Turbo, 163 bhp (122 kW; 165 PS) fully closed deck, oil squirters, no intercooler.

Now the question is can I add an intercooler and what would that get me?

Aslo, what can I get from delta cams and how will this affect gas mileage?

Edited by dec0y13
  • Like 1

I firmly beleive thats vintage subarus should come in the same colors as Skittles! ;)

If I get another 80's suburu it's going Bright Green!

1st gen Turbo?

It would predate my phase one harness so it should work. I need to see if I can track down that Turbo.

1st gen legacy was like 91-95?

What are the specs on that SOHC 2.2 turbo?

---------------- Update

Specs on the 1st gen turbo are good:

Phase one 2.2 Liter SOHC Turbo, 163 bhp (122 kW; 165 PS) fully closed deck, oil squirters, no intercooler.

Now the question is can I add an intercooler and what would that get me?

Aslo, what can I get from delta cams and how will this affect gas mileage?

Yes you can add an intercooler - the 1st-gen Legacy GT/RS both had water-air IC in NZ/Japan. This style would be ideal as you wouldn't have to cut a hood scoop.

• Like 1

Whew, spent a few hours pulling the rear out of the 98 legacy donor car. The passenger side axle is killin' me. Is there a trick to getting the axle out of the hub?

I did manage to get the brakes, hubs, diff, and diff bracket, but I had hoped the get the entire rear cross member and struts as well. Next time I guess.

I'll be pulling the tranny and other bits from that Sti soon as I'm done with the 98.

my buddy, who works at the local steel fabrication shop, is gonna hook me up with the steel and some of machining. I'll be making a kind of kit. Maybe others will want to do this, so I'll see about sharing the design If I pull this off.

Thanks again Kiwi. As usual you are full of awesome info!

Thank you also scooner :)

Edited by dec0y13

• 6 months later...

Just an update!

the BRAT project is STILL ongoing!

I have pulled the whole Engine+drive-line/ suspension/ and some of the fuel and brake systems from the 98. Now I have a Subaru skeleton in my garage bay.

I have ordered the steel for my sub-frame and have designed the Frame in CAD. I have a machine shop the will be milling out and cutting the parts for me as soon as I can put them to work.

I had a setback and had to drop $1400 into my wife's Toyota. (she blew an engine... she needs to stop racing!)

Sooo, after Christmas I hope to get back on track, get the frame cut and then start welding it together in the garage.

I Also bought another Parts car. So I now have a 99 outback and a 98 Legacy. The 99 is a VERY welcome addition. It should have the phase 2 wiring harness and its a 5 speed manual with a 4.11 final drive. 

I'm also excited about the engine. It's an EJ25 DOHC. as is, it has slipped a crank bearing. I don't know of any other issues. I hope the engine is rebuild-able, but I'll need to split the block and see how bad the crank is and hope the cylinder walls can be machined.

This changes my plans quite a bit. I wasn't expecting to attempt putting a 2.5 in the BRAT, but now that I have one, I sure wanna try!

The plan now is to notch the frame in the BRAT and cram in this 2.5. The 2.5 will hopefully be getting oversized pistons and a little shaved off the heads. I gotta see what I got before I dream too big.

The current hang up is my wife likes the outback! It gets better gas millage than the truck we run the baby around in and the only running issue it has is the engine, otherwise it's mechanically sound. I have a 2.2 I think I can simply drop in there. So, she wants me to fix it up...... hmm I guess I'll have to wreck it later so I can get my parts back LOL

Well, either way, I'm on track to have a rolling chassis by Spring (Suspension, frame, fuel tank and wheels) to go under the BRAT. Once I wreck the outback I can add the engine and remaining drivetrain.

Right Now, The BRAT is still running along happily in it's stock configuration, not knowing what is going happen to it this coming summer. WHAHAHAHAAAA!!

On a side not I have a Toyota 1ZZFE engine with a easily repairable slipped Bearing in the #3 cylinder AND the new bearing kit. (the crank is GOOD. should just be a crank polish and reassemble)

Anyway it's going cheap if you need it.

Edited by dec0y13

Amazing Project, keep us updated.

Don't forget to share Photos of the Process with us.  :) 

... The 2.5 will hopefully be getting oversized pistons and a little shaved off the heads. ...

... I have a 2.2 I think I can simply drop in there. ...

So, now you have an EJ25 engine and an EJ22 engine, isn't it?

Have you considered to build an improved "Frankenmotor" out from those two?

So you bypass the known issues with Headgaskets on the 2.5 and get more Fun!

You can read further information on the Frankenmotor Subject, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/131368-frankenmotor/

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114818-frankenmotor-whats-the-big-deal/

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/134714-frankenmotor-dyno-results/

...and had to drop $1400 into my wife's Toyota. (she blew an engine... she needs to stop racing!) ...

So, buy her a Subaru then:grin: 

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

HA! I forgot about the Franken-Motor builds!!!

That might be an option!

I do have both motors :)

I'll get some pics up once I have something to show...guess I could post my frame design anyway. I'll get something up when I get home.

Edited by dec0y13

OK, I mentioned my Frame Designs that I'll be machining out. I'll have to make some more detailed ones where I show the installed hardware, but for now I have the naked frames.

I started with this one. I realized as I was building it that I was going to use the newer legacy fuel tank so i had to redesign.

Frame One

In this one the tank will fit and then I realized I would need to build a rear suspension because I'm extending the wheelbase back by 3" (to use a stock Impreza drive shaft) and using Struts on all 4 corners. (Gone are the rear shocks)

I'm not sure how everything will fit into the front of the BRAT body, so I did a mock-up for the front struts as well. I also had to drop the front crossbeam for access the engine belts.

Frame Two

you can see the struts roughed in for fit.

I'll still need to work out a final revision. I need to make a final decision on how I will do the suspension and design some mounting points for the BRAT body on top. I want a front crossbar to keep everything square, I'll have to test fitment for that as well. the suspension will link up with front and rear strut braces for added rigidity.

In the end it will add 3" of body lift, basically fit any stock Impreza components and will fit any GL or BRAT body with some mods to the rear.
Edited by dec0y13
  • Like 1

... I realized I would need to build a rear suspension because I'm extending the wheelbase back by 3" (to use a stock Impreza drive shaft) ...

I see that you want to to move the rear axle backwards three inches, only to use a Stock impreza Driveshaft; and despite that it could work, the look of the Brat will not be too good, if having the Wheels not centered on their wells; besides that it complicates the engineering.

So, very kindly let me ask you the Reason why don't you order a Custom Driveshaft?

Seems like you'll spend same money on other parts as well, if you use that design.

~► http://www.idahodrivetrain.com/

~► http://musselmansdrivelineservice.com/idaho-falls-id-drive-shaft-modification.htm

Kind Regards.

I actually I want the slightly longer wheelbase and I want the updated suspension, so mods are gonna happen.

I will be trimming back the fenders anyway for the over-sized tires so I'll be re-centering the arch ascetically.

The speed limit in Idaho is 80mph and they are talking about raising it higher. If I want to do highway speed (and I certainly do) the longer wheelbase will make for a more stable highway ride.

Also, if you look at the frame design, it has the option to be shorter if someone wanted the stock length. In the center if you see the red joining plates. The frame can be shortened there. simply drill new bolt holes. :)

I hope then explains some of my madness lol!

While I would advocate for keeping the Brat rear suspension, which is a core part of its "Bratness" I agree on the geometry of the wheel base extension. I built a similar subframe on my 12inch lifted Brat retaining the torsion bar suspension. The upside of your plan that I admire is being able to go to coil overs and being able to tune damping, camber, and ride height. There is allot to be said for that, my Baja handles more like a gravel prepped rally car than a truck. What are your plans for sway bars?

Since the BRAT is quite a bit lighter than the legacy (especially in the rear) I think I might have to go pretty light on lateral torsion. I have 2 different sway bars to try out of different strength. it will take some tweaking to get the balance and feel just right. this isn't a impreza, legacy or forester and it's likely to have some unique habits. it may come to going all the way to Whiteline upgrades.

Some of the other advantages to the updated rear end are also wider track, better brakes and FAR more durable axles. it's hard to say no to such a long list of positive attributes, Especially when your taking a curve in your stock BRAT wishing it handled as good as a shopping cart.

I'm hoping to get some of that "gravel Peppered" rally car goodness myself ;)

Edited by dec0y13

• 4 weeks later...

Your frame idea looks awesome... I already installed a hidden roll bar and removable door bars on my Brat so that I could cut the center support out between the T-tops and turn mine into a targa. The only part of your design that 'worries' me is the support (or lack of) between the rear struts at the top. I had to add a double brace between the rear struts to keep them from flexing. This now limits the use of the cargo area (I know, who cares). So now I need a tonneau cover so it will be hidden.

I'll be cutting out the stock wheel wells and adding an aftermarket upper brace. This will connect the 2 rear strut towers across the bed. It will intrude into the cargo area, but all you haul in a BRAT is mountain bikes anyway! lol.

The fuel tanks an BRAT body gen in the way of having any other brace options.

The same thing will be happening in the front end. Although, this will all be under the hood.

Personally I'd like to have a front lower brace. I'm hoping the lower cross member and tranny brace are enough to tighten up the front end.

Hey, Mix? Do you have some pics of your ride? Love to see what you're up to.

Edited by dec0y13

• 4 months later...
Some more updates to the BRAT chassis. This is revision D. Almost ready to cut some steel. I've been held up a few times. My wife's car blew the engine, and then I had to do battle with my Ex. I'll be done paying offf Lawyers in June.

Sooooooo Hopefully I'll acually get to work on this thing this summer. (everyone keep your fingers crossed for me)

Here's the frame. The orange and purple parts need final measurement or design changes.

ChassisD 003

ChassisD 002

ChassisD 001

Here is the frame with a (REALLY ROUGH) mock body. The body is not measured for accurate scale, but gives an idea of the final stance. Keep in mind this is with a level suspension. The real world vehicle would run and inch or 2 taller with the suspension loaded and the arms at loaded angles.

ChassisD Wbody003

ChassisD Wbody002

ChassisD Wbody001

This Illustrates 17" rims on 205/60 R17 tires and stock fender wells.

EDIT: As an afterthough. If anyone has some 3D software and wants to inspect/ advise on design, I could upload a file for ya :)
Edited by dec0y13
  • Like 2