Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru xt dash bezel repair

So I have an 88 xt with the dreaded broken bezel and as you know it is very hardto find one in good shape. This is write up of how I repaired mine......

My bezel was broken in about 7 places. 

I just wanted people to know how I went about it and how well it seems to work.

I used permatex plastic welder. You should be able to get it at any auto parts stores.

First lightly sand joining pieces.

Clean the joining surfaces with rubbing alcohol. Also clean back from the joint a little bit.

I then mixed the plastic welder and applied it to both edges where the plastic is broken and put the pieces together.

Then I put a bead of plastic welder along the seam

Let it set up for 24 hours. 

One important thing I would like to mention is take your time. I repaired one area and let it fully cure before gluing the next pieces together.

After all of the areas are fully cured sand the whole bezel and sandthe seams level.

This is where I am at with the repairs right now. To now it has taken me 3 days.

Tomorrow I am going to finish sanding and then wipe the whole bezel down with rubbing alcohol.

Spray the bezel with plastic adhesion promoter

Then I am spraying it with textured black paint.

So far the joints are very strong. I  have no weakpoints. I have squezed it with my hands and even twisted it and it was stout.

I will get some pictures of it before I  finnish sanding so you can see where the joints are as well as the finnished product.

I  would have gotten before pictures but I was unsure how well it would hold but now that I see it's holding really well I will get some pictures.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...