Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how much should inner cv joint extend?

So like the title says, how for should an inner cv joint extend? I got a torn boot and loud clack coming from my front drivers side CV so I'm looking to swap it out. A guy down the road has a parts car with an axle that looks intact, but the inner joint really can move in and out allot. I don't recall the reman axles I've used in the past have this much play but maybe I didn't notice...

Just trying to decide if I should throw in the one from the parts car, or if I should just go ahead and buy a new one...

So like the title says, how for should an inner cv joint extend? I got a torn boot and loud clack coming from my front drivers side CV so I'm looking to swap it out. A guy down the road has a parts car with an axle that looks intact, but the inner joint really can move in and out allot. I don't recall the reman axles I've used in the past have this much play but maybe I didn't notice...

Just trying to decide if I should throw in the one from the parts car, or if I should just go ahead and buy a new one...

When you have it on the car, it shouldn't overextend because the tranny and hub should keep it within tolerances. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

The inner joint has a good 3 or 3 inches of travel. There is a spring wire keeper that limits the extension so it doesn't fall apart while off the car. On car, the range of motion is limited by the suspension geometry.

• Like 1

ok yea I think it travels about 3-4 inches so its probably good then. I think I'll go for this one off the parts car rather than buy one. haha my concern is putting in an axle that will clack...but my experience tells me that paying for a new one doesn't really guarantee me that much anyway.