Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fun, fun, fun... I've ∙been chasing down this issue.

Fun little story!

A few weeks back the wife and I was driving down a dirt road up in the mountains and I hit a pothole doing 30-40; it was pretty rough but car continued on fine. When the dirty road T'd with a main road we were forced to stop, and when we started to go the car started to shake - almost like I was applying the brakes over and over again but to only one side; the car was pulling itself and the wheel to the passenger side. I jumped out and did a once over and nothing seemed busted. So I decided to give her some gas and see what happens... no more jerking??? We slowly made our way home. I drove to work the next day just fine but on the way home the issue presented again... I again stopped, checked, and then drove the car back to work with no real issue and then I ended up just driving the car home since all my tools were there.

• Jacked Driver Side up for inspection.
    • Spun wheel/tire by hand; grabbing occurs every 180 or so.
    • Pulled wheel/tire and spun by hand again; grabbing continues.
    • Pulled brake caliper and spun by hand again; no more noticeable grabbing.
      • Purchased brake pads and rotors for both sides.
  • Jacked Driver Side up for brake pads/rotor replacement.
    • Replaced rotor (had it trued first).
    • Started to replace pads but the brake piston refused to go back in.
      • Purchased new caliper.
  • Jacked Driver Side up for caliper replacement.
    • Replaced caliper.
    • Replaced brake pads.
    • Bled front driver side and rear passenger side.
    • Took car for a spin and brakes were off and there was a slight grab still (no where near as bad).
    • Jacked Passenger Side up for inspection.
      • Rear pad was floating and the main spring that holds the rear pad in place was toast and the piston refused to go back in.
        • Purchased new caliper and hardware.
  • Jacked Passenger Side up for caliper replacement.
    • Replaced caliper.
    • Replaced brake pads.
    • Bled front passenger and rear driver side.
    • Took car for a spin and definitely have brakes now; grab pretty much gone now... only occurs slightly in left hand turn.

Drove car to work today and there was a slight bit of grabbing still going on; assuming bearings I decided to drive over to a bearing warehouse down the block and pick up some new sealed ones that were recommended on the forums. Parked the car, picked up bearings, and went to head back to work...

GRRRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

Well, that's new. Car definitely having an issue. I push it back into the parking spot and the car started having round metal babies... all covered in black goo! OuterCV blew up on me; this is a relatively new EMPI axle I just put in last September.

I now assume this has been my main issue... BUT; glad I replaced the calipers and pads as they really needed it.

I'll be doing another axle/bearing replacement this weekend. Fun, fun, fun...

Edited by thornleyjacob

Great story.   I love the part about the car having round metal babies.    

However, I still don't understand why no company can manufacture (or rebuild) a reliable axle these days.   I'm sure nobody would mind paying $100 for a new axle that would last as long as the original OEM.

My last caliper rebuild had trouble spinning the piston back in.   It would spin and spin, but did not retract any.   Finally, after 30 minutes, it did retract back into the cylinder.

You did clockwise screw the piston back in ...right?   They don't push (or press) straight in.

Great story.   I love the part about the car having round metal babies.    

However, I still don't understand why no company can manufacture (or rebuild) a reliable axle these days.   I'm sure nobody would mind paying $100 for a new axle that would last as long as the original OEM.

My last caliper rebuild had trouble spinning the piston back in.   It would spin and spin, but did not retract any.   Finally, after 30 minutes, it did retract back into the cylinder.

You did clockwise screw the piston back in ...right?   They don't push (or press) straight in.

LOL! Is that why they would not go back in? What tools are you using to spin them back in? Lucky that the rear axles last a long time... the fronts however I hear go all the time.

Edited by thornleyjacob

!!! That's okay. We've all done that I think.

You can use a strong pair of needle nose pliers to do it, otherwise the auto stores have a tool you can rent that fits onto a ratchet. Brake caliper piston tool I think it's called.

I have had intermittent shakes brought on by a failed or failing CV and that was actually the first thing I thought of when I read your story about the pothole.

At least like you said now you have all those other components new!! haha

Those calipers are a pain! When I did mine I attempted with needle nose pliers and it took forever! I went and bought a universal brake caliper tool that goes on a socket wrench for around $7. Even with that it was a pain and I had to apply a lot of pressure as I was turning them to get the cylinder to retract.