Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DD's 97 Impreza OBS auto transmission, 157k miles (just bought a couple of months ago), averages 22.5 mpg with almost all city driving.  She is also a beginner driver so driving in a fuel-efficient manner is not quite yet something she's got down.  But a month ago got 27 mpg on a tank that got highway driving and an ascent/descent of 6000 feet, and a bit of off-roading as well.

Edited by dirtdogs

In town is running about 25 - 27 mpg, and I've seen as high as 43 on the highway.  2015 Impreza with the NA 2.0/CVT.  I must also add that I keep to a max speed of 55 on the higway, and utitlize every safe means possible to reduce fuel consumption when I drive.

2014 Legacy 2.5 CVT.  The readout shows between 30 and 31.5 just before each fill up, but actual calculations result in 28.5 to 30.  On a cross country of 4k miles, the range did not change, but I was driving between 75 and 90 and not practicing any gas saving techniques. 1895 miles in two days each way.

Edited by keith3267

I get about 20mpg in my 2.2 swapped forester... I used the 2.2 I swapped into my outback along with the outback ECU. Turns out the outback ECU can't talk to the 6-wire o2 sensor AND my check engine light is burned out. So for the last few thousand miles I've been running with no o2 sensor  :dead:

I guess I need to swap the crank and cam triggers over so I can run the forester ECU, and probably buy a new damn sensor.... :banghead:

At that point I'm hoping to see something in the higher 20's like the rest of you LOL.

Edited by 987687

My 98 Impreza OBS 2.2l 4EAT auto

gets about 22-23mpg while doing a combination of in-town and interstate (45-60mph) driving.

I think it's about 19-20mpg purely in town, and capped at 26mpg on the Highway.

My big Fozzie tires are to blame (215/60R16),

On my stock sized tires (205/60R15), I was doing 22mpg in town and around 27mpg on the highway.

I'm adjusting my false mileage readings due to them,

fairly accurately using this handy tire size converter http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires.

Edit: I too drive like a hoon.

Edited by SnatchedHatch

My 98 Impreza OBS 2.2l gets about 22-23mpg while doing a combination of in-town and interstate (45-60mph) driving.

I think it's about 19-20mpg purely in town, and capped at 26mpg on the Highway.

My big Fozzie tires are to blame (215/60R16),

On my stock sized tires (205/60R15), I was doing 22mpg in town and around 27mpg on the highway.

I'm adjusting my false mileage readings due to them,

fairly accurately using this handy tire size converter http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires.

Edit: I too drive like a hoon.

Hmm, does no one make tune stuff for the Subaru's?  I know a dealer can adjust my Durango or I can get a supertune to do it.  With a VSS it should just be a calibration setting in the ECU.

In the Legacy I was averaging 29 to 34 (yes 34mpg on a round trip from Boise, ID to McCall, ID and back).    That's a '90 Legacy 2.2L w/ a 5MT  w/ Stock size 14" tires.

In the OBS around time (80% highway for 13/15 mile trips) I'm averaging right around 30mpg.  That is a '96 OBS 2.2L w/ stock 185/70/14

Can the Justy play too?

lol you already posted something so you might as well..

1993 impreza, 27mpg highway and 29ish in the city (i know its backwards) the transmission is tiny and the revs are ridiculously high on the highway

(no my clutch is fine)

Edited by Subasaurus

It is interesting between the two cars. the outback is 19-21 max in my town. The Justy is 30. On the highway the Outback gets 30 (below 70). They Justy gets 36 no matter how hard you beat on it.

I choose the Outback for long highway drives, the Justy for congested drives.

Edited by nipper

Put in 10 gallons the other day, and usually go about 250 miles on that. Fuel light came on about 275 miles but only took about 13.5 gallons on a 15 gallon tank. 2005 Baja Sport, mix of hwy/city, could call it appx 25-27 miles/gallon.

(Heck of a lot better than the 18-20 I was getting with my Hyundai.)