Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to the Subie world

Looking at purchasing my first Subie, It's a 2001 Forester S. I took it for a test drive today and notice a wind noise coming from around the passenger side view mirror area. Does anyone have any insight of what, where, and how to fix it? Thank you in advance to everyone responses! :)

Attached is a photo of the Forester I'm looking at:

post-58096-0-62885200-1429758090_thumb.jpg

Looks like that year still had frameless windows/car doors. On my older Subie, if I don't open the door while rolling the windows up, they struggle to close all the way and I end up getting some noise from the same area you mentioned.

It could pay to inspect the rubber around this area (the window and door seals in general).

Although, my car does also have dieing window motors and the window alignment is strange... make sure to check the latter on the Foz (open all the doors and compare the orientation of the windows).

Edited by SnatchedHatch

I somewhat improved noise from a driver side front window by going to Home Depot, and getting a $5 roll of thin stick on window and door foam weatherstrip.

I forget the size and thickness, but likely 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 inch. And adding that into the existing door seal rubber on the rear view mirror

side of the window, maybe a bit on the upper front as well. I think I doubled up in a key spot after a test drive revealed a specific area near the mirror in the front whistling.

Under the flap of the door seal, just to create more pressure when the window shuts.

I think I have to re do it though, as I did this 2-3 years ago, and the noise seems to be back, likely the weather strip has compressed and dried out

over the years. Makes a big enough difference to get rid of most of the annoying wind noise roar, and reduce it to a hush.

• Like 1

The frameless windows are inherently slightly noisy, I just live with it...

I went ahead and cleaned mine ( the window seals) and sprayed/rubbed them with silicone grease when I bought the car.

Over time now, the only complaint I have is.. well, you should see me getting an auto-car wash LOL I have to hold a rag on a spot on each of the front windows haha

Not too bad, it used to leak elsewhere xD