Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why bother with 14" pugs?

It all depends on how much you want to trim the wheel wells, and how much you want to bog down the engine. Larger diameter tires require more clearance on the wheel wells and more power to turn over. Either way (14 or 15) you get into a selection of tire designs with more agressive tread.

For most of us, a 27 is about max size. . .

Example. Qman runs 27/8.50/15 Superswamper SSRs. I run 27/8.50/14 Superswampers.

Same exact tire, same diameter. But. With a 14 inch wheel, I have more tire between my wheel and the road, in theory allowing me to air down more for more tranction with a lesser chance of blowing a bead.

14 inch wheel or a 19 inch wheel is no different for clearance. The size of the tire is what gives you your clearance. Make sense?

I have about an inch and a half of tiresticking out past my rim, very small cahnce of mangling my rim on a rock. Those 15inch pug alloys wouldn't stand a chance at Evans Creek where we do most of our Hatch Patrol Initiations unless you put a pretty wide tire on them.

I got the 14" ones for a couple reasons. First of all, the 14s are easy to find. I just went to Everett PAP and snagged them off one of the Peugeots.

Second, since my car is not a serious offroader, I wanted alloys (they're a hell of a lot lighter), and I like the 14" bottlecaps better than the 15" 7-spokes.

Depends on the Tire Eric - in the case of your swampers that is true - that the tire size isn't affected by the rim size, but for tires that aren't rated in inches, such as a 205/75r14 vs. a 205/75r15, the r15 will be 1/2" larger in diameter! Even tho they have the same first two numbers.

I run a 215/75r15, which is close to 28" outside diameter. It's like 27.85" or something like that.

Pugs are perfectly fine, but I run a chevy 6 lug rim drilled for 4 lug because I like the wider offset I get (about 5"-6" wider track for the car) from them. Since I don't run a swaybar for better articulation, the extra width helps high speed handling on the freeway.... and it looks cool in my opinion.

The chevy rims are also MUCH thicker than the pugs, and at only $25 brand new (in ANY size you want), are easily replaced should I mess one up. And they look somewhat similar to the original subaru white spokes...

GD

I always wondered why folks put 14" pugs on their subes? The whole idea of putting pugs on is to get more ground clearance. Since pugs come in 15" why not install those and get the extra lift?
Couple reasons really. Sometimes its just supply and demand. Gotta get what you can get. Others like to run more meat and less metal for the tires/wheels. Sure its an inch difference in diameter but you can just make that inch up at the tires.

I got 15" steel pugs cuz I have an awsome selection of make/model tires to choose from. Steel rims hold up stronger and are cheaper/easier to get straightend out; unlick aluminum alloys I've had in the past. Suposidly bigger rims means better handeling but I can't really judge handeling 'performance' (read: lack of) with my lifted wagon. It's also an extra inch in steel BLING yo :)

Guest taprackready

Because I got mine for $15 for a set of four. They are bigger than 13's, lighter (probably) than steel wheels, and mostly because this board recommended them as almost the only alternative to a true bolt on upgrade.

Bill