Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi! my mom has an 87 gl-10 and is thinking of buying a somewhat newer soob. anyone have an opinion about the differences between outbacks, foresters and legacies? I have a 92 Legacy and love it but she kinda likes the forester because they seem to have a bit more clearance.

Well, Outbacks are Legacys with a lift basicly, and a Forester is a Impreza with a lift and diffrent body. I would stay away from the 2.5 liter unless brand new (and it still seems to have questionable relibility), and go for a 2.2 liter. That means basicly your down to a Impreza or a Legacy which are both great cars. Unless your mom realy needs the extra inch of ground clearnce i would go with a Legacy or Impraza with a 2.2 liter sence the Outback (ecept the first year for the real Outback was offrered with the 2.2 liter and the 5spd, extremly rare) and Forester only came with the 2.5 liter in them. Both trannies that were used were pretty good, if taken care of. The first gen leagcys 90-94 were great cars, my dad put around 350,000 miles on one before it died. They are strong relible and are great in snow, like any subaru with AWD, 4wd.

I have a 2.2l Outback and its great. I average 24 - 25MPG...and get over 30 on the highway. It has nice ground clearence. It is comfortable. I also have a 1995 Legacy sedan...less ground clearence...gas mileage is a bit worse since it has 215,000 miles on it. Look around for a 2.2l engine and it'll last a long time.

Some good thoughts here. I also wanted to add that I believe the '99 model year had the phase 2 automatic trans (smoother/improved, etc..) and the phase2 2.2l (legacy platform-more hp/torque).

So far my 2.5 '02 w/40k has been solid, time will tell though.

I like the legacy's more, maybe just because they're a bit bigger. The outback buys you some more height, and MY2000+ OB's come w/ rear LSD's.

Thanks! Some interesting info. I think she would want a standard, although they can be harder to find. She had transmission trouble with her last subaru an 86 loyale.

I personally am quite patial to my Legacy Ive put about 8o thousand miles on it it had 107 when I got it and its given me very little trouble, some front end work which seems to be common in soobs altho I hear that might be due to mismatched tires? If only I had known that back when I had my 86 gl-10...

anyway thanks again, this is all new info to us.

and all advice is appreciated!

PS Stagger Lee! heh, I have used the name deliadee since 99 and only one other person I have run into knew where it came from, most people think its my name. The other guy recorded himself singing the folk version, which is a bit different then the Dead. Its very cool someone recognized it. Love that song. (and the name is never taken...)

Dear sweet Delia D