Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Loyale timing belt not centered

Hey guys (gals) I recently replaced my timing belts, tensioners etc. Everything was working fine until a couple weeks ago. The left hand side belt it sliding towards the engine. I replaced a tensioner and realigned the belt a few times and it just jumps back. Any idea's please ? I'm at a loss.

Just tried to upload pictures. My files are too large and not sure how to reduce the file size.

The timing belt started to cut into the plastic cover behind the cam wheel. It's maybe a 1mm or so over the edge and I don't think it's safe to drive. 

Edited by Kris79

that was a pain, i still remember mine also, left side was the one that always wanted to come out, what i did was removed the tensioner and hammered it alittle to one way, tested it out by turning the vehicle on and see if it fell off, i overdid it and was rubbing on the engine block, so i hammered it some more the other way and got it, that is for buying a cheap quality tensioner btw, i learned my lesson.

I put the old tensioner back on thinking it might be the problem and it did the same thing leading me to think it isn't the tensioner since it wasn't doing this previously. Which way did you bend it ?

its been a year since i did this, i honestly don't remember :( sorry but pay attention to the rotation of the belt to which direction it goes and the rotation of the tensioner and bend it in the way you want it to go, thats what i did.

Well I pulled it all apart. Put new belt on and double checked everything and the belt just goes back to where it was. I'm going to just run it like this till it flies off. It's a second car and we can live without it even though it's so much fun.