Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pcv tubing

went to remove my air cleaner on my 88 dl wagon the other day and it broke off right near the drivers side valve cover,thought i could shorten it but the whole hose was hard as a rock,what causes these hoses to harden like that? and where can you get replacement hoses? the dealer here in spokane won't deal with you unless you have a newer subaru.

Regular 5/8 hose will do it.  But if you have inspections in Washington they will probably fail you.  That what have happened to me.  I had to buy "emission hoses" from the dealer.  The prices for the hoses are different but overall it cost me about 50 dollars for all.

If your dealer does not have them try to search online.

Good luck,

Sam

Regular 5/8 hose will do it.  But if you have inspections in Washington they will probably fail you.  That what have happened to me.  I had to buy "emission hoses" from the dealer.  The prices for the hoses are different but overall it cost me about 50 dollars for all.

If your dealer does not have them try to search online.

Good luck,

Sam

thats total BS.Failing because of a different hose when everything else is still the same.If the car passes the emissions part who cares whats under the hood.

replaced mine 2months ago when replacing the lifters in my GL, cracked my hoses and got new ones, 5/8 from the scrap pile at oreilly's, don't know what quality or anything but they were free, but i also noticed oil at the top of the hose and the elbow piece?? is this normal to have engine oil way up there? wasn't much but still.

Edited by Subasaurus

An small amount of oil on the PCV system is considered "Normal" on aged / old engines, somehow.

I used to have much oil blowby on my "BumbleBeast" so I installed an Oil Catch Can, but the thing hasn't trapped a single drop of oil, because the longer and steep incline route of the hose, prevents the oil to reach the intake.

More information, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114260-oil-catch-can-in-ea82/page-2

Kind Regards.

• Like 1