Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retrofitting a turbo to a non-turbo forester?

I haven't tried it, but since the Forester is essentially a lifted Impreza, I expect you want to look for Impreza turbo components. The floorplan and suspension subframes are the same, so the exhaust route should be similar. Ditto the engine mounts.

There should be plenty of standard turbo kits around, since most Imp GT/WRX owners upgrade.

You can do this but you already have an engine that is marginal in design. If you must fit a turbo start with a successful tubo engine. You need a good closed deck,thick cyl walls, lower compression pistons, and rods and a good crank would be nice.

Get a whole clip complete with engine management stuff.

Or better yet trade cars.

You can do this but you already have an engine that is marginal in design. If you must fit a turbo start with a successful tubo engine. You need a good closed deck,thick cyl walls, lower compression pistons, and rods and a good crank would be nice.

Get a whole clip complete with engine management stuff.

Or better yet trade cars.

I dont know about needing a closed deck to have a good turbo charged engine, the new ej20t in the WRX is open while the ej25t is semi closed and the the ej25t seems farily robust. I think it would just be easier to trade cars, strobnger engine internals, stronger trannie and i think a diffrent suspension and brakes.

necessary it is a real plus. The stronger you make the deck surface the less flex you get in that area. If your bore is large you may not be able to have it closed and still move enough coolant.

My theory is use the toughest piece of equipment that has been proven not only to work, but work for a long period of time.

I have built several very fast engines in the past that had the life of a mayfly.

I am an old guy now and when I build something I want it to work and for a long time without screwing with it.

The other thing I have found out is that is far easier to swap a developed system than try to do engine development yourself.

Do you have the money for a hundred dyno runs blowing up eight or ten mills? I don't.

I wasn't looking to turn my forester into a race car.

I already have something for that.

I was looking ahead to my post warranty period and wondering how feasible it would be to get a little more power out of the engine by bolting on some parts from the forester XT. Something in the range of 6-7lbs of boost.