Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy rearended, now won't start

My nephew's 93 legacy was rear ended last night and now the starter will not crank.  All of the lights are working so there is power.  He has asked to go help him retrieve it and it would be helpful it I could get it to start.  I personally own an 86 XT so I am familiar with Suby's but not this particular model.  In case I can get the starter to crank is there a fuel shut off switch?

Any help is appreciated.

There is a safety switch involved with the starter circuit. The shifter needs to be in the PARK position if it is an AT. They moving the shifter around while trying to start the engine to see if that helps. There is a switch on the clutch pedal if it is a manual. You could bypass that by adding a switched connection to power and the ignition contact of the starter solenoid to get it going and then find the real trouble when you get it to a better location to work on it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, just got back from checking the car out and it is totalled.  Roof buckled in several places and the motor is not even sitting in the car properly.  but thanks for your help.

"motor is not even sitting in the car properly," could have a lot to do as to why it won't crank Since "totaled," it is now a moot question/answer. No need to find out "why."

Just glad no one seriously hurt. That easily becomes a big and serious concern.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the suggestions, just got back from checking the car out and it is totalled.  Roof buckled in several places and the motor is not even sitting in the car properly.  but thanks for your help.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer.  Sorry, man.

Thanks for all the concern, unfortunately my nephew was in it at the time.  After we saw the vehicle we made him go to the emergency room.  He is being observed, is very sore.  And we found out he greatly under estimates things.  He was hit so hard the steering wheel was bent a 45 degree angle where he had his hands on it, and once the doors opened they would no longer close.  He may have some minor injuries but luckily there will be nothing major.

• Like 1

100_6170.jpg

That was a 50mph hit and quick thinking on my part at a red light, but it did serious damage to my lower back and left me disabled. The car is bent. So please please please take his lower back very seriously. 

Edited by nipper