Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 subaru gl throttle position sensor help

1987 subaru gl, spfi non turbo, 2wd, 5 speed.

This is my first subaru. I already love the car despite its issues. So far i have a lot of idle issues and loss of power. Car does have exhaust leak but no 02 sensor codes.

I have read and cleared the codes several times, i am getting 31,34,35. (tps, egr, canister purge) For now, i have bypassed both egr and canister purge as both valves are bad giving no reading on a dmm. Had coolant sensor code, but cleared it after cleaning the contacts and testing with dmm for resistance. Has not returned..yet.

My main issue is the tps(throttle position sensor), I have tested it, i have continuity on pins one and two when I am supposed to. The problem is I have tested for resistance as per fsm, and haynes manual. Tests render no reading.

So, i decided to take the sensor cover off. Found corrosion, and the pins that ride on the traces are all bent up and stuff, now not making contact with traces. I am sure I could fix it if i tries, but I don't want to chance further messing up the sensor unless I have another.

Im sure yall know that a new tps sensor is upwards of $300. I have searched part numbers and such, I have the single connector four pin tps. I have found similar sensors but with an extra connector for the loyale.

My main question is, does anyone here have one they are selling? If not, where can I find one for a good price? I live in Texas, and Subarus are not common around here so their not something you can easily locate in a junkyard.

Also, is there possibly another tps from another vehicle that might fit? I found one for a justy that is much cheaper on rock auto. I have also found some from a nissan that have a similar part number and looks basically the same.

All help is appreciated.

finally someone from texas that owns an old gen too!! i had to buy another vehicle for parts, thats how hard it was finding parts. maybe you should also consider buying another one thats junk (if you can find one) distributor is upwards of $200, TPS is right on where you said $320, injector is $480, each lifter is $90, its scary how pricy things are for these old vehicles, best of luck!! and i feel your pain!!

I have craigslisted for other gl's. No luck, If i could find a cheap parts car I would go for it. I did not know parts would be so expensive for this car, but I will have to deal with that. If you find a tps up your way in San Antonio, let me know. Their few and far between at the junk yards around here.

• Like 1

I have done a ton of cross referencing, the tps off the gl part# sera484-2 hitachi is commonly used on the lotus elan from the early nineties. From there is cross referenced the part other tps sensors used on this vehicle and found the tps from an isuzu i-mark from 1989, http://www.rockauto.com/info/903/5S5200__ra_t.jpg original number is sera484-2a. Four pin style instead has a pig tail.

Will this work? If so i found this part number ec3107 from bwd.

It seems these tps sensors were used on alot of foreign cars in the early nineties late eighties.

No,the specs are not even close according to my info.

Subaru idle switch opens at 2.5 degrees.I-mark 16-18

Maybe there is enough adjustment to compensate,but who knows?

The Subaru tps increases resistance w/opening throttle.

The I-mark decreases resistance.

BWD has a different part# for a SUBE one.

Good luck finding a Lotus one.

They were known for overpriced parts.

• Like 1

There are still many Spfi subies in wreckers and engines on shelfs. I would ask around to buy an entire used intake. Any SPFI, EA82 engine will be the same 88-94 or 87 will have a few different connectors but all the same parts, same TPS for sure.

Finally got my tps in today. I ordered part number tps4085 from autozone. Casing is marked as sera484-2 but has a different connector. Sensor is from a 1989 isuzu i-mark and is a 4 pin connector. I ran the checks from the FSM with a multi-meter and found everything checks out. I have not been able to check with the different feeler gauges as of yet, but based on the initial tests it could work just fine. 

The ohm readings go up in the right direction and at the right ohm levels as noted in the fsm. I will report back once tps sensor is installed on the throttle body and adjusted with feeler gauges.

As far as the connector goes, I will be soldering all connections and making a pig tail out of the old sensor by desoldering the connector of the old sensor and soldering onto the new sensors wires.

This sensor can be bought for $179 through auto zone. Only subaru shop I could find offered the original sensor used at $150, and lowest price on a new sensor was around $300.

Here is a link to all part numbers that cross reference to this sensor http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/11350979/wells-tps4085.html

yeah thats for remanufactured/used, can't find new stuff even at Oreilly's/ AutoZone anymore, plus new would be 1.5-2x more expensive anyways. i had an issue with my vehicle a while ago and thought it was the TPS, but turned out it was a failing electronic distributor. not sure if the TPS is exactly where it should be since i messed with it, oh well.

Edited by Subasaurus

Plenty of Subaru wreckers across the US, Here in Australia we have a wreckers hotline so if they do not have what you want they put the call out and any wrecker on the hotline service will chime in with availability and price, The more that have stock the better for you.

Do they have a similar service in the USA, If so ask and make use of it because here they also have a preferential freight deal due to the volume of parts being shipped, Like when last used I could ship an engine for less than a quarter of the rate normally quoted by freight companies through the Wreckers Hotline system and that meant shipping Interstate Brisbane to Sydney roughly a Thousand Kilometres for under a Hundred Dollars.

Edited by coxy

I finished installing the new tps yesterday. Everything fit and adjusted out perfectly. No more tps engine code and cars drives a lot better.

I also confirmed everything is identical on this sensor besides the connector. This sensor can be had new for less than $200.

Best way to handle the connector issue is to solder the wires and use shrink tubing. Wire colors are identical also.

• Like 1

I finished installing the new tps yesterday. Everything fit and adjusted out perfectly. No more tps engine code and cars drives a lot better.

I also confirmed everything is identical on this sensor besides the connector. This sensor can be had new for less than $200.

Best way to handle the connector issue is to solder the wires and use shrink tubing. Wire colors are identical also.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Well after more research, the casing on the i-mark 4 pin tps is marked sera484-2, subaru tps is marked on case same exact number. Why would these two sensors be different when their hitachi numbers match? 

I remember when Tweety bought an AFM for his trikes ea81 conversion spfi - same part number different dimensions. Poor bugger was sore after getting his return rejected after rocks thirty day return policy had expired by time he found difference

• 11 months later...