Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so i own a 2002 legacy outback with the 2.5L 5 speed... im trying to find performance upgrades that arent too expensive. my main goal is to raise my gas mileage... im having a huge problem finding parts. im not a huge car guy and everything im looking at either says legacy or outback...which one should i pick and then what kind of "trim"  any help will be grately appreciated!

The stock intake is already a cold air intake, flows well enough to add a turbo and decent horsepower, and does a good job at keeping water out. As such there's zero performance anything you get from chrome garbage. Same deal with the exhaust system. The n/a is slow and steady, not much you can do to them. The 3rd gen is a heavy car and there isn't much you can do about gas mileage. Mine was a dog, but it was comfortable and cruised nice down the highway... until the subframe cracked in half....

• Like 1

you can make the car more fun to throw around the corner. And reducing mass will give it a little more pep.

lighter rims, maybe a lightweight crank pulley. If 5spd, a lighter flywheel. Never haul around tools or heavy gear. If you will always be near home - consider leaving the spare and jack where a friend could bring them to you. If you literally never have passengers, remove the seats.

suspension and brake upgrades are common - try a search here, at subaruoutback.org and maybe NASIOC

boxer4racing.com and others have bits to help with suspension and similar mods.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Legacy and Outback have the same motor. Not really any performance upgrades available. Anything you would buy, like a K & N air filter won't increase hp or gas millage. Stock Subies are not good candidates for hot roding.

I noticed an instant increase in fuel economy when I put a k&n filter in my 90 Legacy. Around 1.5mpg increase. I drive 150 miles a day so it didn't take long to notice.