Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core - how to get this off?

Any ideas how to get this plastic fastener off? It's off one of the vents that control hot/cold air. It is in the way of taking the heater core out, I managed to get it out but was bending the arm quite a bit and I'd like to avoid in if possible when putting the heater core back in. As you can see I've already had a crack at it with a screwdriver. Is this a non-servicable item or am I just being dumb? 

9m1d29T.jpg

OBov3D8.jpg

Yes, its a b###tard.

First, clean out the small groove so that the piece sticking out of the heater (rod) can be squeezed together. Don't clean it out too much otherwise it won't stay locked afterwards (tho you can put a small wedge in there to help this)

clean the edges of the rod with a small file (nail file or some such to remove any lipped edge)

you need to try to squeeze it together whilst also levering behind with a screwdriver.

Use thin pliers to squeeze & a sharp wide screwdriver to lever.

DO NOT TWIST the screwdriver, otherwise you'll break the whole thing off.

If you can get help from another person to hold the heater box, it's really helpful cos you need 2 hands to lever, squeeze.