Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tie rod end woes

So I am replacing several things: axle, wheel bearings and knuckle.

All was going well until separating the tie rod end from the knuckle. I took the nut off, flipped it around and popped it with a hammer to knock it lose. That worked. But now when I try to remove the nut again, the bolt in the tie rod end rotates with the nut. So now it looks like I'm replacing that too. 

Here are my specific questions now

1) How to get this nut off with the bolt rotating...nothing to hold onto and no room to get vice grips...might just have to cut it off?

2) After getting the knuckle seperated, can I just twist the tie rod end off? 

Maybe you can wedge a pry-bar in there while the tie rod end is loose and get a good bit of rotational torque on the stud, hopefully preventing it from turning. If you have a hacksaw or an angle grinder, I'd just skip that and cut it off as it's shot now anyway. At least tie-rod ends are cheap! Hopefully you got a place around that has them in stock though.

Get a clamp and push the taper back into the knuckle. That should hold it tight again.

If the knuckle is still on the car, get a jack and use that to push the tie rod back in.

You shouldn't need to over tighten it, you've already had the nut off once.

Do you have access to a "rattle gun" (not sure what you guys call that power tool. They put less lever rotation onto a nut, plus the shock of starting.

• Like 1

Autozone can get it in for me tomorrow for $25. Definantly more than I was hoping to spend but no options here. I'll get a jack under it here in a bit and see if that does the trick. If not I'll just cut it off.

So regarding the next step once I get there. Does the tie rod just twist on and off. Is it possible to pay attention to its location on the threads and avoid needing an alignment?

yea so putting the jack under the tie rod end totally worked! Shows how much i know about tie rod ends haha

And 175eya: Yea thats what I figured. The problem is that the other tie rod end boot is squashed too and probably needs replacement...If I have to go get an alignment, I should do that side too first. Bummer, I just tore into that side 2 weeks ago for wheel bearings and could have done it then.  :banghead: