Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 GL Exhaust Issue/Question

Hey folks,

So my '84 Subaru GL started sounding a bit differently as it drove quite recently, took the heat shield off and saw that there's a bit of rust on the Y-pipe leaving the engine, and am worried that there might be a few small leaks, though everything else is generally intact, and the pipe hasn't completely shredded itself or anything. Is it risky to keep running in this condition? I've been unable to locate a replacement pipe and I'm scheduled to be going on a long 3K mile journey in the car this coming week. 

As a note, I can't currently smell anything extra or exhaust-like from the cabin, so that's vaguely reassuring. 

Pipes are available online listed as a catalytic converter. The ea82 pipes fit (with slight mods) and can be had on ebay for under $130 the ea81s are around $160+. Quality is so so and cheapos wont have the heat sheild except around the cat. They work tho. Keep your window cracked I imagine ull be fine. Or should I say; been there done that, just smoke one less cigarette.