Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD Button Relocating..

4WD button on my shifter is finally breaking, well i thought this was going to be a plug and play easy thing with 2 wires and a switch but apparently it has 3 wires for some reason and i don't want to play the guessing game and fry something. but apparently i need a relay of sorts and something being single pole double throw on/on switch, i don't understand, could someone explain it to me in detail? theres a white, yellow, and red wire, i dont understand why i need a relay if the 4WD button doesn't have a relay.

i was reading this thread= http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/150571-random-4wd-engage/?hl=button

im confused, is the 4WD button 2 buttons in 1? thats all i could come up with myself. do i actually need a relay?

-thanks

i will check with the multimeter tomorrow since i woun't be home till tomorrow, i mean my only guess is 2 wires need power from 1 because theres 2 solenoids that get activated when engaged in 4WD. don't know, ill find out tomorrow.

any other opinions greately appreciated, thanks guys!

The wires are (sorry, I don't know what colours relate to each):

- ign on power

- 4wd activated

- 4wd de-activated

The switch only operates the 2 small air solenoids behind the LHS strut tower. They don't draw much power (it's the engine vacuum that does all the work), so they don't need relays.

You'll need a switch that has ON at both ends, and no OFF position in the middle. So yes, it kind of is 2 switches in one.

If you can't find this kind of switch, get a normal switch, and then wire it up to a cross-over relay. ie one that has a pin active when the relay is charged, and another pin when it isn't.

• Like 1

But before you go to this extreme, have you tried to clean it?

20 years of oil & gunk on your hands falls into the space between the switch & the gear stick.

If you push down the rubber boot, you've see a roll pin through the knob. Knock this through & then the knob should come off the top of the gearstick.

Then on the dash side of the knob is a small screw which holds the switch in. Remove this & with a bit of careful effort the switch will come out the top of the knob.

Clean away & re-assemble.

Small time used, small amount of cleaning used, small amount of $ used :D

Edited by wagonist
  • Like 1

white is switched power

red is to engage 4WD

yellow is to disengage 4WD

looked everywhere for the switch and ended up finding a single pole double throw ON-ON switch at Altex computer store lol, lowe's had a SPDT but it was ON-OFF-ON.

still working on the project, will post a picture of where the switch ends up.

Edited by Subasaurus

Everything worked out perfectly besides the fact the switch being upside down and having to take the dash apart again to flip it, the SINGLE POLE DOUBLE THROW (S.P.D.T.) ON-ON switch worked perfect, the switch looks alittle cheesy (wish it was bigger) but thats the only one i could find that was S.P.D.T.

thank you crawlerdan, scooner, and wagonist, couldn't have done it without you!!

here is a picture of where the switch went, i think ill eventually order a better looking one that lights up from online and install it later.

oh and i left the original 4WD button in the same place (i didn't want a hole in my shifter) i just jammed some plastic in there so the button woun't go down anymore, or make an annoying vibrating sound on the highway.

post-57642-0-20637500-1430441483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1