Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Making your own wannabe STI trannie mount. For around $15 U.S.

Sence i did the cable 5spd conversion on my SVX i wanted a harder trannie mount, because i would have to match the reves or else the trannie would go into a horrible opssilation if the rev diffrence was great enough. So i went to go get a STi mount but found out that the newer style crossmember has a diffrent bolt pattern than the one i have (90 legacy) and the STi trannie mount would not work with out a new crossmeber. The person there sugested i have the mount filled, she did the same thing for here 93 impreza rally car becasue the STi mount wouldent fit becasue of the crossmemeber, and had good results. I called a couple places, and really couldent find any place that would be willing to do it. So i gave up for about a week, then i remebered that in Sport Compact Car there project rally Sentra SER had a filled engine mount to stiffen it up. So i digged trough the magaziones to try to find that article and finaly did. It turns out that they found out that 3M makes a silicone that is pretty close to the make up of the that engine mount. They did it and said it worked pretty good, harder, but not as hard a polyurathane mount. The stuff is called 3M window weld fast curing urethane (part# 051135-08609). So i went and bouight one tube of this stuff from a auto paint store and it was about $15 U.S.. Then i took off my trannie mount and filled it up. I let the trannie mount sit for 2 days with this stuff in it to let it fully dry. Now the trannie mount is extremly stiff. Before i could twist the mount easyily with one hand now it takes 2 hands and i can barley notice it move. It seems alot stiffer. This has helped alot with the trannie and has made a very noticable diffrence in the positive direction. Its amazing how much of a diffrence this mount has made to make the car easier to drive.