Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That exact thing happened to the compressor in my '93 when it had barely attained 100.000 miles.  Rebuilt compressors were quite expensive at the time, so I bought a new one from the dealer--better warranty, about the same price--and put it in.  Good solution, at the time.  Much more recently, I had the compressor in my '95 go bad (extremely noisy bearings), and didn't fancy paying much to fix it.  eBay proved to be a good source of used compressors of this era, and for about $50 I had my replacement part in hand.  I put it in, charged the system back up, and it's been as good as ever for over a year now.

AC work is not to be feared.  Removal and replacement is very easy.  If your system still contains any significant refrigerant charge, the right way is to have a shop remove it for you before you open the system.  After you put everything back together, the official procedure is to pull a vacuum to remove any air and moisture before recharging; however, in my experience these systems are fine if you skip that step (I've done that with a couple of other Subarus after replacing leaking seals, and they've performed well for years thereafter).  Do replace the o-ring seals where the pipe unions attach to the compressor; they're the ones that will harden and leak.

That exact thing happened to the compressor in my '93 when it had barely attained 100.000 miles.  Rebuilt compressors were quite expensive at the time, so I bought a new one from the dealer--better warranty, about the same price--and put it in.  Good solution, at the time.  Much more recently, I had the compressor in my '95 go bad (extremely noisy bearings), and didn't fancy paying much to fix it.  eBay proved to be a good source of used compressors of this era, and for about $50 I had my replacement part in hand.  I put it in, charged the system back up, and it's been as good as ever for over a year now.

AC work is not to be feared.  Removal and replacement is very easy.  If your system still contains any significant refrigerant charge, the right way is to have a shop remove it for you before you open the system.  After you put everything back together, the official procedure is to pull a vacuum to remove any air and moisture before recharging; however, in my experience these systems are fine if you skip that step (I've done that with a couple of other Subarus after replacing leaking seals, and they've performed well for years thereafter).  Do replace the o-ring seals where the pipe unions attach to the compressor; they're the ones that will harden and leak.

I had a bad leak of refrigerant, which I traced down to a pin hole leak in the metal tubing. I replaced the metal tubing and O rings on both ends. To recharge, I emptied half a can of 134 in the system, then vented it out, thinking this would pull out some of the atmosphere and moisture. Once completed, I recharged the system with 2 cans of 134, and the A/C has worked perfectly for the last two years. I am not proud of consciously venting 134 out to the atmosphere, but what the heck, if your system springs a leak the same thing is happening. Having a shop pull a vacuum, and recharge is just so expensive.

buy a used compressor, add refrigerant, and youre done.  takes no time at all, cheap, and easy.  i've done it gobs of times.

no need to buy rebuilt, new or worry about vacuuming the system.

buy a used compressor, add refrigerant, and youre done.  takes no time at all, cheap, and easy.  i've done it gobs of times.

no need to buy rebuilt, new or worry about vacuuming the system.

Sorry grossgary, I wanted to send you a personal message that I liked your comment, but prolly pushed the wrong button to say that I did not like your comment. Sorry about that. ..................Rooster2

If replacing the compressor, then yes, add some PAG. I can't remember how much, maybe 2 ounces, but others will know.

depends on alot of things, i remember my 1993 impreza took 4ounces but you also gotta see if the compressor also already has some. you don't want to put double of what it needs :P

and yes, time to replace the compressor, mine was seized when i bought it, tried so hard to move it, i got it to spin freely again but when i forced the living hell out of it, i heard a snap inside and when i would tilt it, i could hear a screw or chunk of metal in there rolling around (never took it apart) since i was already in a bad mood because i had to spend a bunch of money for a new one.