Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have/had the dreaded rusted out filler neck. I went on ebay and ordered a replacement filler neck with vent.  I removed my old filler neck and there was a HUGE pile of rusty junk that fell out, the only discernable thing was a white plastic rectangle.  The three small steel lines that went up to the gas cap area where rotted as well.  The neck I had is not vented the new one is.  So first I thought it was to bypass the whole charcoal canister assembly by the right rear tire....

I disconnected the lines to the canister and solenoid and was going to monkey match the thing, but then had a thought in my mind to stop.  Does anyone have a diagram of how this thing is supposed to be hooked up? Should I just plug the vent on the new neck and hook it back up as stock or is there a better way? 

There are 2 small (1/4"?) fuel hoses to steel coming from the gas tank area as well as a larger (3/8"?) line plus the 2" filler line.  the two smaller lines went up behind the filler neck and another line the same size came down, they where all rotted and this is where the plastic rectangle piece fell out of. Also a larger 5/8 line from the tank to the canister with a t fitting to the solenoid. As I said I unhooked the canister and the solenoid like an idiot and am not sure how it goes back together or what the plastic rectangular piece is behind the filler neck.  Any one with experience?

Not long ago, I replaced the fuel pipe in my 99 OBW.  The fill pipe I ordered on line turned out to be the wrong one. Every on line parts store recommended the wrong one, by giving the wrong part number. What did fit was one for a 2.2 motor, but my motor is a 2.5 motor. Go figure ???? I had a friend install the fill pipe, so don't know anything about the white triangle, or how to treat the canister.

If helpful, I can look up both part numbers. The one that doesn't fit, and the one that does work. Let me know if this will help.