Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fairly sure there is no starter relay. The older models didn't use one. Anyways, get a 4-pole relay. Use the wire currently connected to that small spade on the solenoid to "trigger" the relay. Run a fairly large wire from the battery, through the relay, and then to that small spade. Your problem I believe is the starter solenoid isn't getting enough current to energize probably due to increased resistance in the circuit. I've used this modification many times on older models and solved the no0start problem every time. 

Its a new battery, Optima and a new starter.  Just put a new ignition switch in with no change.

Really appreciate the help..

When I put a test light on that wire to the small spade while key turned to crank, it did not light up.

Like the previous posters stated, there is a safety switch between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. What kind of switch depends on which transmission you have. Bad switch contacts are pretty common. You may be able to just clean the switch contacts to get it working again. If you have an AT then you may be able to simply adjust the safety switch to get it working again.

Its an auto,  I tried putting  the gearshift in N a few times with no luck.  Could that still be an issue?  We are down to the  key cylinder or ignition relay?

If the Neutral safety switch is out it isn't going to correctly register neutral or park for the car to start.  Someone should know the test procedure.  You can also look around and find the Factory Service Manual.

The trouble is most likely the with the inhibit or safety switch as it is also called and is a common issue with older cars. It may be mounted on top of the transmission. You could bypass it to see if that corrects the problem.