Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil change with phase II 2.5l L4 Legacy engine?

Greetings,

I'd sure be much obliged if someone could tell me or steer me to the right site to change the oil filter in my '03 Legacy with 2.5 L engine.

I have considerable experience changing oil filters on my VW jetta / Eurovan/ other cars and always  place  a new copper washer on my oil drain plug.

Just need an outline basically,plus any Legacy specific tips to make this a pleasant vs unpleasant experience.

Thanks in advance

Nik

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/47546-oil-change/

shawn is a pro with a shop north of Denver

you might also find a youtube video. Eric the car guy has some good ones - dunno if he has an oil change vid though.

I like to use a new crush washer (Subaru or Dorman 20mm) many people re-use the washer many times with good luck.

I also pre-fill my new filter with oil and wipe its gasket with a little oil on my finger.

put your car keys under the jug of new oil. people have started their cars forgetting to fill it!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

it's so easy you should probably tell us why you're asking....it would be akin to asking "how do I open my car door"?  J/K:

1.  remove oil filter

2.  install new oil filter

Is your under cover still in place and in the way?  if so you just need to remove the under cover or open it's access hole if it has one for the oil filter. 

oil filter is on the lower front passengers side of the engine bay - crawl under the front of the car and you can't miss it.

i never replace drain plugs on Subarus and have had multiple 200,000 mile vehicle, driving some now - the original Subaru OEM drain plugs last the life of the vehicle if they're never over tigthened.

aftermarket drain plug crush washers I wouldn't trust at all - i'd throw a brand new one away and install a 150,000 mile Subaru crush washer any day.

buy a new OEM crush washer and never replace it again, that's what I'd do....well i wouldn't even bother with a new one until i actually saw drips.

a lot of people follow the Subaru Gods and replace the crush washer every time though, that's very common.  i am the noted weirdo in that category...but until I see one leak, i'm not wasting the time worrying about it.  still a relatively small sample size but more than just a few, I've probably worked on 100 Subaru's and never replaced one.

4.2 quarts, but add 4, start and check. 29 ft lbs on the drain plug. I never replace washer unless plug is trash. Just make sure to read the dipstick right. Its 2 sided and that's what the extra notch is for. That's full on the opposite side your supposed to read.. I do this for a living and I can do one in 10 mins

4.2 quarts, but add 4, start and check. 29 ft lbs on the drain plug. I never replace washer unless plug is trash. Just make sure to read the dipstick right. Its 2 sided and that's what the extra notch is for. That's full on the opposite side your supposed to read.. I do this for a living and I can do one in 10 mins

Thanks Matt!