Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 subaru impreza will not start please help

This kind of problem is usually due to a faulty inhibit switch, or safety switch as it is also called. See if the starter will work when you put the shifter in the neutral position. If it does then the safety switch is the trouble and may be on top of the transmission.

Ok, so if I understand correctly when you turn the key the engine cranks but will not start?

find the two black plugs under the dash and connect them together.

Turn the key on and count the flashes, both the long and short ones.

ok so I tried to jump the starter while turning the key and the starter turns over but the the motor will not and I tried starting the car in  neutral but nothing happened, I tried to locate the the two black plugs that you were referring to but im not sure where they would be.

oh and I am trying to replace the ignition relay but I cant seem to get the old one out, is it screwed in? of does it clip onto a bracket?

If the car is turning over when you turn the key you want to look other areas first.  

In your first post it sounded as if it wasn't turning over (no starter function), but later you explained that it does seem to be turning over.  

You are either not getting Fuel, Spark, Air, or you are getting them at the wrong times/wrong combinations.

When it completely isn't turning over then the ignition switch or neutral safety switch are likely culprits, but your in a different situation than that.

thank you for al of your help. I figured out the problem, the ignition switch was bad and the fuel pump sending unit is fried. Do you know where I can find parts?

Or you can check rockauto.com and amazon.com.  Both tend to have good prices on new parts.  I prefer amazon simply because I'm a "Prime Meber" so I get free 2 day shipping.