Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engine to put in the Brat?

Speedwagon

I have a '98 Legacy GT with 257k on the original 2.5. This engine is nearing it's end, and will be coming out before too long for an EJ20 turbo swap.

I am then left with a 2.5 in need of a rebuild to be useful. I have an 87 Brat with the stock EA81, fitted with SPFI currently.

Given this information, would you rebuild the 2.5 for the Brat? Rebuild the 2.5 and put 2.2 heads on it? Get an entirely new 2.2 or 1.8 from a donor car for the Brat?  As stated, the 2.5 needs a rebuild to be usable, since it is burning oil on acceleration now(I get a nice smokescreen when I hit it). Lots of misfire codes being thrown currently too, as well as the crank moves fore/aft a bit.

speedwagon.. go Denver! I guess the 2.5 straight up (dual cam big valve is a good engine.) The 2.2 heads give you better compression but gotta run premium. Also, the 160 hp on the Franken motor will kill a 4 speed or 5 speed loyale tranny. I would dummy it down to 140 hp on the 2.5. 

i'm interested in your ea81 spfi mod if you get rid of it. I have a modified hitachi but was thinking about the spfi for my gear engine. Does it reduce and power? 

Does the 2.5 fit the Brat OK? I was thinking of a 2.2  with 2.5 heads? Fort Collins

I'm doing a 5 speed in mine in two weeks, with stock ea81 and pwr steering upgrade. Seriously would like to know more about the spfi mod? Good luck

May do a legacy 5 speed with a franken motor or 2.2 turbo. Only if I can modify half shafts to keep ea 81 kknuckles and rear hubs

I don't know where you're getting 160hp for a ej25 with ej22e heads considering the ej25d made 155hp in 96 and 165hp for 97-99.

Your best bet would be some sort of sohc ej engine, the dohc ej's are too wide for the ea81 engine bay so the frame rails have to be cut and reinforced. There are some pics in older threads here that show the modification needed for this.

Personally, I've always felt the ej22e would be about perfect for the weight of the brat. Anything more I feel would really be pushing the rest of the drivetrain and suspension. Now if you want to talk about awd swapping and retrofitting newer suspension stuff then that's another story.

What are your goals with the Brat?! That's more important than your engine options.

The EJ25D will not fit in the engine bay as-is, the DOHC heads make the engine too wide.

What I'm saying, is I vote 1UZ  :brow: