Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transfer case

I have 1987 subaru gl 1.8 liter 4 wd  The transmission fluid is leaking into transfer case.My mechanic had it apart but could not fix it.Says i need to replace tranny and case.There has to be something else to do for now.. before that. Need help ....

This is a problem that all of the older "EAT" transmissions will suffer from at some point..there are 2 sets of seals and a tube made of some sort of plastic, that seperate the auto trans fluid and the gearbox oil in the transfer case.

If you can fund/find a kit and the rebuilding of the transmission, go for it. if not look at swapping in a manual box (if thats an option).

I had a similar problem on a 91 liberty 4eat box. after lengthy discussions which included selling the car as was, converting to a manual trans or just leaving it. the box was pulled and a seal kit was put through the front half of the box. It wasn't a fun day but we did get the problem sorted out.

Good luck with it.

TOONGA