Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Legacy - that little switch on the steering column

The parking light toggle switch on the steering column went bad and I had no running lights. Drove me nuts looking through the whole system before I isolated the problem to that switch. Took it apart and the little spring was causing a short. Cleaned it all up and put it back together and all's good.

I assume the intended function of the switch is to put the parking lights on without the ignition being on. Is that all?

It seems a little weird to have redundent electric sytems on a car. Who needs to increase their odds that something will fail?

But then again how many times have I finished up my shopping and thanked Subaru engineers that the headlights CAN'T be left on. Almost feel like I don't need jumper cables with my Subaru. Actually, I've only used them to help others.

They don't do lights like that in any European country that I am aware of. German cars have a small bulb in the headlight (usually) and use the tail light on the side of the car that is parked toward the street on dark roads.

Usually, this is set by pushing the turn signal an extra click.

Subaru must have gotten this from Ford, as in "they thought they had a better idea..."

Subaru must have gotten this from Ford, as in "they thought they had a better idea..."

is it not better that headlights turn off when you turn the car off? dead batteries isn't a better idea :D. Though people that don't know the switch is there usually drain the battery quite often.

Yes, I've left the lights on in cars before. My only point is that the switch is not visible to me when I'm sitting behind the wheel. I didn't even know it was there until I went to clean the car after I'd had it for a few months.

Some of you folks really need to get a sense of humor. This board seemed to be a bit more fun when I first joined. Maybe all the blown head gaskets has put a damper on it.

I will try to keep any posts I throw out from now on to the technical aspect only... NOT!

Sorry, I just can't help trying to get a little banter going, like on my reply to the spark plug replacement.

I've also been around long enough to see way too many stupid human tricks from automobile engineers, and they never seem to learn from their predecessors.

It would be easy to make a car that lasted much longer, but that is not in the best interest of the car makers. So, the only way I can keep my head above water is to make fun of the whole situation.

when you hit the switch the shows a strip of red under it.

I do agree that people here need to get a sense of humor. When I make jokes here everyone gets all butt hurt. So I don't make jokes anymore.

I don't agree with your idea that subaru didn't put any planning into the new gen of cars. There's a reason why the legacy won easiest car to work on (or something similar) in 91, and it's not just by accident.

My understanding is you can turn the park lights on without turning the ign. on as most of us know the headlights dont come on unless the car ign. is on and thus lets you leave the car locked up in the dark with parkers on if need be. But its a pita if you accidentally switch it on while cleaning during the day :-\ then discover it later :(