Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C works on defrost but not on A/C button 2007 Impreza 2.5i

My 2007 Impreza 2.5i wagon's A/C is acting weird...

The A/C works fine when the selector is set to defrost (both settings) but not when the A/C button is pushed and the selector is on any other setting (dash, dual or feet).

The A/C light comes on & I can hear a switch or relay click under the dash but the idle stays low (doesn't change) and the air does not cool.

If I put the selector to defrost (with or without the a/c button in the "On" position) the idle rises to about 1000rpm and the air starts to cool.

I had this problem last year and a local garage replaced the compressor (with a used part) saying it was cratered (~$900 total) ...

Before I go back to them, is there any other switch, relay or whatever that might be causing the problem?

I'm not entirely familiar with the setup in the 07, but this sounds like a bad switch in the control panel. Does this car have automatic climate control?

I can tell you that it is NOT the compressor, since it works on the defrost setting.

I'm not entirely familiar with the setup in the 07, but this sounds like a bad switch in the control panel. Does this car have automatic climate control?

I can tell you that it is NOT the compressor, since it works on the defrost setting.

This one doesn't have auto A/C.

Thanks, I was thinking it wouldn't work, too, if the compressor was hatched.

I wonder if the A/C from the switch has a fuse, link or relay to actuate that is not part of the defrost circuit?

I can't find a wiring chart ...

On my 2010 Forester according to the owners manual the AC does work at certain conditions - for example high load, etc. 

Have you tried your AC while driving, slow driving, accelerating?

Good luck,

Sam

Tried all the above - no luck

This one doesn't have auto A/C.

Then that makes it much simpler. The auto AC models have several sensors that can affect AC compressor operation.

With the manual AC you're pretty much just looking at a bad switch in the control panel.

Then that makes it much simpler. The auto AC models have several sensors that can affect AC compressor operation.

With the manual AC you're pretty much just looking at a bad switch in the control panel.

OK time to take the console apart.

BTW, would that be a relay under the dash I can hear click when I push the switch? And can this also not be actuating correctly?

Edited by vic622

As stated if it works on defrost then the compressor is good. Defrost runs the air even if the air is off, seperate circuit. So you can be confident the big parts are fine. Correct me if im wrong here but there is no hi /lo relay in modern subies. Its all done in the ecm. Theres only one switch relay pair unless you have climate control.

There are about half a dozen relays that AC system uses and they should all be under the hood except for the blower motor relay.

Does the relay click only when you push the AC button, or does it click when the blower fan speed switch is turned on/off?

When you push the AC Button, do the radiator fans under the hood turn on?

Edited by Fairtax4me

As stated if it works on defrost then the compressor is good. Defrost runs the air even if the air is off, seperate circuit. So you can be confident the big parts are fine. Correct me if im wrong here but there is no hi /lo relay in modern subies. Its all done in the ecm. Theres only one switch relay pair unless you have climate control.

The hi/lo is the switch for a low refrigerant level or high pressure, right?

There are about half a dozen relays that AC system uses and they should all be under the hood except for the blower motor relay.

Does the relay click only when you push the AC button, or does it click when the blower fan speed switch is turned on/off?

When you push the AC Button, do the radiator fans under the hood turn on?

The one under the dash only clicks when I push the A/C switch, independent of the blower speed switch.

Not sure about the rad fans, I'll have to check that on the next drive.

OK, confession time ...

When you push the button with the squiggly lines, it will ~NOT~ activate the A/C, you ~must~ push the other button, marked (oddly enough) "A/C" for it to operate ...

I feel like a complete newbie ...  :wacko:

Problem solved, thanks for the help ... I'm on the way to find a rock to hide behind ...

• 2 years later...

My 2007 Impreza 2.5i wagon's A/C is acting weird...

The A/C works fine when the selector is set to defrost (both settings) but not when the A/C button is pushed and the selector is on any other setting (dash, dual or feet).

The A/C light comes on & I can hear a switch or relay click under the dash but the idle stays low (doesn't change) and the air does not cool.

If I put the selector to defrost (with or without the a/c button in the "On" position) the idle rises to about 1000rpm and the air starts to cool.

I had this problem last year and a local garage replaced the compressor (with a used part) saying it was cratered (~$900 total) ...

Before I go back to them, is there any other switch, relay or whatever that might be causing the problem?

So I am having this exact same problem.  A/C button light turns on, a relay clicks under the dash, and the compressor doesn't engage. Turn on the defrost and the compressor engages and it pumps cold air. But nothing any other time.

BTW, this is on a 2007 Impreza 2.5i, just like the OP.

Edited by paulmeisterpk

So I found a wiring diagram for a 2006 2.5i. Should be the same. It appears that the switch circuit is not working even though the light is coming on. I jumped wires number 8 and 9 in the connector, and the compressor kicked on. I tested the diode between wires 9 and 10, and could not get continuity in either direction. So I think the switch with the diodes is dead.