Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Forester - Rear Noise - Struts?

Hi, I have a 2001 Forester with 180K that recently starting making a popping noise in the rear. My impression is that the struts need to be replaced, but would like an opinion from this forum.

I made a video and highlighted the noise in the first minute, but the noise can be heard through out the video, especially from 2:40 - 3:10.

Here is the link to youtube video.

If anyone can help with a diagnosis I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks for the feedback, rear differintial I assume can get expensive. I will look into draining fluid. I have little to no work on my car myself, hopefully something I can handle.

Sometimes the noise(s) make me feel like the whole rear end is falling apart, but have had the car looked at several times recently and nobody has showed any concern or displayed confidence in what the noise is. One thing I found interesting in the video is that immediately after going over man hole cover you can hear a single pop.

It's an automatic right?

You can put the front wheel drive fuse in and see if the noise changes.

The loud crunch/grind going from reverse to drive is something drivetrain/axle related. Struts don't make noise when you're sitting still.

The drain and fill plugs on the rear diff can be grizzly bear tight and very difficult to get loose. They typically require quite a bit of leverage, which means you need lots of room under the car.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

With the vehicle in FWD all of the rear drive peices will still be turning whenever the vehicle is moving. So even if the noise goes away, whatever is causing the noise can still be an issue if it later decides to let go entirely.

If the noise does go away then we can say with at least some certainty that the origin is in the rear drive components.

If the noise gets worse, then there is a high probability that the noise is related to a front axle or differential problem.

If anyone is still listening to this, scratch everything I have said or shown...

I now think the noise is from the "sway bar links...", see video below...

I recently had the rear brake calipers replaced, and suppose the sway bar links were removed to do the job. Maybe they should have replaced those instead of putting the old ones back on, or greased them better???

Sounds reasonable?

Holy cow, just watched that first video finally.  I know everyone was saying the noise wasn't struts, but did anyone pay attention to the bounce?  I would put money both those rear struts are bad and based on a later video I would suspect strut mounts as well.

I agree the struts could probably use replacing, but the biggest thing annoying me is the dang noise back there.

Going to try SOOBEROOs advice of unbolting the sway bar links and see what happens...

With that said, anybody know what a fair price for replacing rear Struts and Mounts is?

Always start with the obvious.  The struts are bad and that can cause all kinds of noises.  Creaks, pops, etc... from stuff shifting differently that is meant to.  It can also damage other suspension components and put additional wear on them.

It's a 12MM, 17MM, and 19MM sockets to do it yourself, IIRC.  Then a spring compressor rental (most parts stores you pay then get a full refund when you return it).

Rockauto.com has your rear struts KYB Excel-G for $68.00 each strut then $48.00 for each strut mount and they have FCS (haven't heard of them mysefl) completely assemblies with new springs and mounts for $127.00.

Automd.com can show you the labor hours for it, but I suspect it's between 1 and 2 hours.

The problem is the creaking and popping that happens when the strut is NOT moving. I hear a lot of noises in those videos that don't correlate to any movement of the suspension.

Did you record the drivers side as well? Any noises on that side?

I didn't record the driver side strut, but the last video of sway bar link is the driver side. I assume the noise in that video is the sway bar link, and that seems to me like where the popping is coming from. I may be hearing with my eyes though...

Is there ANY seepage of oil from the struts? Not that this is necessarily diagnostic BUT during last winter, I noticed all sorts of noises coming from the rear of my 05 OB and the car was skipping all over the road after I hit a bump. Replaced struts (leaking) and sway bar links (had some play) and all was well. Bought KYB struts from local Autozone with a price match to someone else on-line and got the sway bar links there as well. It's a dirty job and was way too cold so I had a Subie tech work on it after hours for $150 labor.