Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up a really nice 98-99 lob limited last week for the cost of moving it outa the guys yard. I was told it had  rod knock and sure enough it went bang bang.

Pulled the engine, short version is the block is junk, heads are marginal.  Looks like done material for future projects.

Bought a JDM 2.5 for my year and model from JDM-Alliance for 950.  Less than cost of rebuilding a core.

Compression is good at 142 across the board, plugs are clean. Pulled front covers and timing belt looks new, idlers are all bright and sparkly. the engine is SUPPOSED to have less than 40k on it and by looking at it I would agree its possible. Upgraded head gaskets and upgraded rear oil cover installed.

Im going to run it.

The swap engine is not egr equiped so I "should" swap out the intake, drill and tap right head yada yada yada.

Questions:

1. Do I have to swap out the intake at all? Will it work without an erg system?
  2. The exhaust was left on.  The down pipes wrap around the front of the block tucking under the front with an exit pipe to the rear on left. Way different than my lob which drop and go directly to the "Y" pipe. Clearly I won't use that exhaust but does it indicate anything I should be aware of?
  3. Any gotchas I should look out for? 
  4. Cover me Hoss, Im goin in.

I read through some posts and it looks like I don't HAVE to swap intakes. The EGR work around sounds like just the ticket. Honestly a cel doesn't bother me as long as I know it's not a problem.

Anything else I should be looking fore? Opinions welcome.

The exhaust manifold and water pump are stock. The jdm/audm market ej25d had a very turbo like exhaust routing, and thus needed the turbo style water pump to match. Use your exhaust system on the jdm motor. The egr bypass will work, just look on the forum for threads about this. I think there is one in the USRM for using a non-egr ej22 in place of an ej25d, the egr bypass will work the same as detailed in that thread.

• Like 2