Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just found my slow brake fluid leak and its coming from the large seal on my ABS Pump/Unit. I started looking around online and all of the results all seem to be incorrect. 

My Lines are straight from front to back and everything I found have been in a square pattern..... But I am not a big fan of ABS at all.

Although I do prefer this ABS systems as opposed to my 03 Baja which engaged on any tiny bump I would not mind bypassing it completely and saving a few bucks while im at it but not sure if its a simple bypass or would I have to run new lines directly off of the master and would it just be better to replace the ABS unit.

Thanks

Greg

Personally I wouldn't change it as I've had ABS help before, even though I don't like it.

But if I were going to do it I would go pull parts off a '96 Legacy w/out ABS at the local pick-a-part and swap it that way.  You may even need to change the ECU since that function is controlled through it.

Yeah this is the first time I've ever seen one fail and it's a very slight leak but could be the reasoning behind my not up to par brake pedal.... When I get a day off I'm gonna go pull one but is there any real difference between the inline to square inlets for brake lines.... If I find the square paytern( more recent ) abs unit could I just run the lines correctly for Lf lr rf rr and be good to go or did they change things around like how it controls the abs?

Thanks as always

Greg

+1 they fail so rarely the ABS units aren't worth anything - should be cheap.   post in the classified section there?

www.car-part.com  has them listed for $14, $19, and $35 cheapest +shipping depending which variant you have.

but i imagine it wouldn't be terribly hard to just swap it to non-ABS.  the master cylinders vary - how many outputs they have - i'm not sure why or how they're routed, but that's a difference i've seen.  2 lines coming off the MC, 3 lines, and 4 lines i think i've seen all three of those.

the ABS works waaaay better with good tires.  if you're being as frugal with tires (speaking from experience), that's probably freaking out your ABS.  it'll trigger much more often, when it's not necessary if you've got old tires, warn tires, low grade tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow been a while since I was on here but I do have 4 matching 7+ 32nds mid grade tires and the ABS works fine I'm just personally a fan of it al all. My 97 OBS drive so much better after cutting the ABS wheel spied wires when I swapped out struts. They wre to rusty to want to deal with but it want a matter of a leak.

I obliviously haven't made it to the junk yard yet but will definitely just swap out the unit. Easy to access and looks pretty straight forward. Now my last dinemma is all that I've seen online were a square pattern for the lines going in and mine is in a straight line at how the brakes lines run into the unit. Is there a difference or would either work?

Thanks as always

Greg