Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Subaru Forester won't start

It died on me a few days ago and wouldn't start back up, now when I put the key in all it does is ding until I close the door, nothing electrical will respond except for the hazards and door locks, fully charged battery and no blown fuses. Very stumped

If you are referring to a pre 1990's vehicle you should have fusible links inside a small plastic box that is mounted on the water reservoir for the radiator. Look for a bad link or connection to it. If those are okay and you have power on each side of them then check for power getting to the ignition switch and after it.

its a Forester so it is not pre 90's.

Timing belt was just changed

and it died and would crank a little but would mainly make this weird sound

also turning the key does nothing, no cabin lights no radio nothing except it reminding me that the key is in the car with dings when i have my door open

its a Forester so it is not pre 90's.

Timing belt was just changed

and it died and would crank a little but would mainly make this weird sound

also turning the key does nothing, no cabin lights no radio nothing except it reminding me that the key is in the car with dings when i have my door open

May sound strange but have you tried charging the battery or jumping it?

When you ask for help with a vehicle it really helps us to know what the model and year of the vehicle is.

Make sure power is getting to the main panel fuses under the hood. Especially the main fuse like 'nesok' stated. Make sure the nuts at each end of it are snug tight. Also make sure the battery connections are clean and snug tight. If all the fuse in the main panel have power getting to them while trying to start the engine then check the ignition switch and dash fuse panel fuses for power there.

Fusible links continued into the 90s. had them on my 97 impreza. Not sure if the forester has them, but if so you're probably looking to replace the black wire in the fuse box under the hood.

Double and triple check your battery terminals for good contact. Double check the charge on your battery.

When it died, did it sputter out? Give you flashing instrument cluster lights/buggy speedo/tach? Cut out instantly?

When you ask for help with a vehicle it really helps us to know what the model and year of the vehicle is.

Make sure power is getting to the main panel fuses under the hood. Especially the main fuse like 'nesok' stated. Make sure the nuts at each end of it are snug tight. Also make sure the battery connections are clean and snug tight. If all the fuse in the main panel have power getting to them while trying to start the engine then check the ignition switch and dash fuse panel fuses for power there.

?? My vehicle year and model are in the title. By dash fuse panel do you mean the main fuse box located on the drivers side? I'm not very familiar with these cars, mainly stick to the old gens

Fusible links continued into the 90s. had them on my 97 impreza. Not sure if the forester has them, but if so you're probably looking to replace the black wire in the fuse box under the hood.

Double and triple check your battery terminals for good contact. Double check the charge on your battery.

When it died, did it sputter out? Give you flashing instrument cluster lights/buggy speedo/tach? Cut out instantly?

The radio went in and out then the gauges died and then the carDied, double checked and don't have any fusable links, have checked over and over that the battery is fully charged and that the cables and terminals are spotless

The way you describe it dying sounds like the alternator giving out. I'd pull it and get it tested for free at a parts chain.

Have you had the battery tested? Or just checked that it's got juice?

There's only so much that could kill both the motor and electronics and its got something to do with battery, alternator or wiring. check both ends of battery cables. You can even use jumper cables (Carefully) to run a second positive or ground cable to test in case one of the cables is actually bad. Had this happen on a ford explorer once. Had to run a jumper cable to the starter every time I started it up for a week til I could get a replacement.

I'm betting on a bad alternator so far. If not, it's easy to pull, test and scratch off the list.

Problem solved, it was a mixture a of things, the alt was out of a 91 legacy with some extremely shoty wiring which then popped the 80 amp fuse on the bottom of the leg( why I couldn't see it thank you nestek). Replaced the alt, found a new alt plug from the junk yard, and bought a new fuse from oreilys.

you people rock thank you for all of your help